crazy fast stanley clarke

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ryan morris, Apr 1, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok, i just listened to some stanley clarke/hip hop song that is called swung on ego or something. the intro is real fast and it all sounds like the same note, but if anybody knows the song or could download it from napster, i'd love to know what he's doing to get that speed and tone.
  2. I'm not familiar with the tune you are asking about, but the way he gets that speed is years and years, and thousands of hours of practice! As far as tone, Stanley is most known (in his BG work anyway) for his use of Alembic basses.
  3. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    I'm not familiar with the song either, although as far as I know Stanley Clarke uses a similar thumb technique as Victor when he slaps with his thumb he puts the thumb through the string (to sound one note) so when he pulls his thumb back out it sounds a second note...thats one way how he gets that "machine gun triplet" effect (a good example of this can be heard on a track called "silly Putty"...cant remember the album title).

peace y'all
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...what's really depressing is Clarke's speed on the URB. Have you heard "Captain Marvel" from RTF's Light As A Feather album?
    And SC had "stupid speed" way back in the '70s(before he had played "years & years", too). ;)
    Face it, some guys got "it". ;)
  5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Clarke has definately got it, but I don't think his slapping skills came over night precicly :)