1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crazy Fishman Situation

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by appler, Apr 18, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

I ordered a Full Circle pickup last month and let it sit in the box until I could find the time to have it installed. I wasn't comfortable with taking all the strings off and the possibility of the soundpost falling and all that, so I brought the pickup to David Gage's shop.

When I ordered the Full Circle, I didn't think I'd have a problem with the 1/4-20 size adjusters. I mean, what were the odds that I'd have a 6x1mm adjuster shaft? I didn't know how to be sure, so I ordered the more common one. Apparently the odds were better than I had predicted. As soon as the strings were off and the adjusters were out, we realized that I did indeed have the wrong pickup. Unfortunately, I couldn't return it, so we didn't know what to do. "Come back in half an hour," he said.

Thirty minutes later, I had a fully functional Fishman Full Circle pickup installed. I believe the luthier used some sort of threaded piece of wood and super-glue. Everything works fine. I know this was not the ideal way to get a pickup installed, but so far, so good. Has anyone else done this before?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My LaScala had already had the same adjustment done to accomodate the FC when I bought it. No problems here. Nnick Lloyd Llater added a maple shim on the bridge to make it taller since I like higher action, and I can't tell any difference in tone. Assuming it was done right, you should be fine.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea me too. I have a helicoil installed in each bridge foot to adapt to the different thread size. Sounds fine and works great.