Crazy glue king

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, just finished work on one of those ”Made Expressly for [fill in the blank]” Fartndt model willow basses. The nice young owner had finally been convinced by his NY Phil teacher to take the bass elsewhere from its origin after numerous cracks and problems. Why bring this up? Some will say it’s just my negative nature like in my website rant. Whatever. Many things people do have complex etiologies. I believe that at least a part of my motivations are to use any modicum of influence I have to get folks to do the right thing. In the glue section of my rant I caution about the evils of crazy glue in bass lutherie. I suggest to players that they request from their luthier to use proper glues. I guess not enough read it nor had the cohones to do so. Anyway, this bass comes in with a horrific crack [another story] and when I take to top off it is apparent that a number of its many cracks are “fixed” with crazy glue. I’ve seen folks get good press by “free” repairs. Wow, after three years he still fixed it for free! No favors done there, folks. Just gets the uneducated consumer out the door with their problem and on to the next big profit. You players have to start being aware of this and ask hard questions and not just here on TB.
  2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If you "fix" a crack with crazy glue, and it reopens in the future, you will not be able to get glue to re-join the crack. Wood will end up having to be removed and a spline fitted. Now a simple repair has turned into a major job, and has scarred the instrument forever. Using this stuff to repair cracks is short-sighted.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Should I assume that Bondo isn't a good idea, either? :p
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It's fine. Just be sure to wear a quality respirator when using the pneumatic sander.
  5. You 'Bama rubes just kill me.

Everybody around here knows that a four-inch wide strip of pine and and a handfull of wood screws will fix any crack (although if you play outdoors much you may want to use treated wood).
  6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    And galvanized hardware, and I don't mean that electro-galv crap neither.
  7. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    LOL, youse guys are killing me...
  8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I went to google to find that pictue from the crazy glue commercial of the construction guy hanging from his helmet. I was gonna put some silly "Here's Jeff on the weekend, just hangin' out" caption on it. But I found something much better. If you google "crazy glue", Jeff Bolbach's Luthier Rant comes up in the top ten! I've always respected you Jeff, but now you're elevated to hero status.