Crazy grooves in 12th fret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tplyons, Jan 29, 2006.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay guys, picked up a new (to me) MIM Strat that's perfect except for three grooves under the strings in the 12th fret, and only the 12th fret. I drew a picture below, as the fret is the yellow part, has grooves like the fret were hit by a hammer while string, putting notches into the fret.

Is there anyway to fix this without replacing that fret? Would crowing the fret do the trick or what?
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think I'd replace that fret, then recrown it. Not that hard to do if you take your time and do it right. Just my opinion.
  3. if your sketch is to scale and the grooves are that deep and only on that fret, then replace, level, and recrown that fret.
  4. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My friend bought a used Epi Les Paul guitar with the same problem on the 15th and 17th frets. He knows someone up in Cardiff that does things like that, so he got the frets replaced
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The sketch really isn't to scale. The grooves aren't anywhere near that deep, just about the depth and width of those respective G B and high E strings. I can get around them, but it prevents me from bending smoothly on the 12th fret.

Any recommendations I can do myself?
  6. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I picked up an used Danelectro U1 guitar a couple of years ago and was playing it one day and found a spot just like that on one fret under 1 string. It didn't really bother me except for the part i was trying to learn (have since given up since i suck on guitar)

BUT: since i got the guitar so cheap i didn't really want to put any money into it so I cleaned the burs off the fret and proceded to fill the the dent with JB Weld. (lol) after it cured I cleaned it up and shaped it with a small file. It plays fine, and is barely noticable (but i still suck on guitar)

Probably not something you want to do, but i wanted to to share my story.