1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy idea: converting a RB Star Bass 5 from lefty to right handed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 17, 2019.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The story is I've been craving for one of these for years, should have grabbed one when thomann was letting them go for around 600€ a couple years ago, now they sell for 1000€ so not a chance I'm able to buy one new and these are nowhere to be seen in the 2nd hand market.

SO, I have a chance to get a lefty Star Bass 5 for real cheap, just don't know:

- how tricky it'd be to install pots in the right place
    - if it's possible to turn around the top part of the just-a-nut (is it symmetrical?, guess worst case would be having to buy a new one, right handed, and replace that top section)

I'm not freaking out at all about leftover holes, I'll simply try to find a decorative yet fun way of covering them. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Bumping this up just in case anybody has any ideas or warnings about this. I'm probably pulling the trigger this week as I've seen this video and the center block looks like it has some routes that communicate the pickup holes to the hollow wings (I know this is the German Starbass, not the Rockbass but I doubt they make a center block for right handed and left handed instruments, should be the same, worst case I need to drill a hole from the pickup holes to the wings).