1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Crazy idea/fender hot rod deville for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blind owl bass, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    Hey Tb gang. Longtime lurker. Anyways at a practice this week i plugged my upright bass into my fender hot rod deville 2x12 that i was giving to my guitar player to use. The bass sounded great and was only limited by the speaker cab. Got loud......now my idea. I want to drive a 2x15 cab loaded with 3015's (non lf). I bet the 60 tube watts would sound like 10 b15s.

Does anyone know the output ohms on the amp and how i can hook this up.
    Thanks christian

el jeffe bass likes this.
  2. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Dude, that's a 900.00 amp. If you play loud through it, you'll blow the speakers. The cab doesn't sound like a great idea and dragging the combo around and putting it on top of the cab sounds like a pain. If you want to experiment, I'd just find a cheap tube amp (from a console or organ) and a cheap cab (2x10, 4x10, whatever). Use the guitar amp for what it was intended.

I'm not sure about the ohms, but I know the speakers are 8ohms each. Could be 4ohm or 16ohm, I guess. My tube amp will do 4, 8, or 16 depending how you hook it up.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    Take the amp out of the cabinet. Then build your own amp housing. If it sounds really good to you, then go for it.
    I found this
    Fender® Forums: View topic - Hotrod Deville 212 8 Ohm Output

Go for it. I have an old 1990 Mesa .50 caliber tube combo. I hauled it out of the trash cleaned it up and it sounds awesome. However mine says on the back what ohms are going out of what jacks.
    Good luck

saabfender likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I would definitely avoid playing upright bass through the stock speakers, but I don't see why the amp would not sound great with a relatively efficient 215 as long as the impedance is proper. Sounds like a fun project and I say go for it :thumbsup:!

The manual says 60 watts at 4 or 2 ohms, so you need a 4 ohm 215 cabinet. The amp has switching output jacks. If only the internal speakers is used, the amp is configured for 4 ohms (60 watts). If the internal and external jacks are both used, the amp is configured for 2 ohms and 30 watts is available at each jack. If only the external jack is used, it won't work.

My recommendation is to connect the 215 in place of the internal speakers (IE don't use the internal speakers), Your manual should show you where the plugs are.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Munjibunga, eJake and Rich Fiscus like this.
  5. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies.so to clarify I have many TUBE AMPS and cabs/speakers to swap and play with. I am just a gear/tone nerd. Not gona gig with this ever just fun at home. And guys i played upright bass at string band levels inside for 3 hrs.The speakers are fine, shredded with guitar the next day, all is well. 900$? Got mine 250$ used, and next to my sunns or ampeg v4 i really dont care too much about the amp, i regularly loan it out. Sorry wanted to explain this project a little.

So my coveted 60watt sunn 200s is sweet, but no reverb and drive channel could be fun of properly set. My 2x15 is super efficient and loud as all hell. So I can just disconnect the mains in the cab and plug into my 4 ohm 2x15. Sick. I will let you guys know how it works. Also the 3015s in my cab rock for guitar, ive tested this thoroughly. That would be a mega guitar stage monster.

6. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    Again thanks all for the replies. Love this site

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Totally understand. Just unplug the internal speakers and plug in your 215 then. It's really no big deal. The jacks are concealed, but once you locate them you should be able to have some fun mixing and matching with your existing equipment. You could also try it with both sets of speakers plugged it.

Who knows, with the right speakers, you might like the voice of the amp better.
    You might also consider rolling a few tubes through the preamp.

8. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Sorry, I took it as you were going to build a cab with 3015s, which I didn't think would be worth it to just screw around. I still, personally, wouldn't destroy a fender deville just for fun, even if it was cheap (I guess used they're about 500). But it sounds like you're just experimenting, so have fun.

I actually have a Dynaco mkIII I practice with at home, which is pretty much a sun 200. I don't really use reverb on bass, but I have used a few different dirt pedals through the dynaco, and it sounds great. Take care!

9. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    Sweet! gota love that hifi dynaco gear. Not gona have to destroy the fender. Seems the main speaker load is 4 ohms, just disconnect and connect bass cab and boom.
    I double every gig for my main group. 90% loud upright and few on my fretless 5 string. My gigging rig is that 2x15 mesa boogie cab with 3015s and an ashdown head, tonebone od 2 channel preamp. Covers any tone i could need. I love me some pedals tho. My 2 cents. Give the fulltone fd2 and fd3 drives and mxr badass od a try if you havent.The fulltones my fav non fuzz dirt pedals for bass and amazing for guitar. The mxr is an underated gem that sounds great for anything 100z low end knob is key! Im all into non traditional pedals for bass. Thanks for the input!

KJMO likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021