Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy Idea? OR not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 6, 2005.

1. I've read through the 'Cabinet Building 101', but this is more of a should I, rather than how can I. I was thinking of building a 6x10 cab with an impedance of 2Ohms. I'm not too sure this is doable, or desiarble, but that would let me use my Peavey Firebass to its full potential, and I really like its sound. The Firebass puts out 700W@2Ohms, so the cab Would have to take that, which shouldn't be a problem. And if on some later date I decided to change to a pre/power configuration, most high-end poweramps can take a 2Ohm load, right? Basically, I'm asking if its feasable, or just a waste of time..

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Its certainly feasible. If there are 4 ohm 6x10s (and there are, even if some are 5.3333ohms) then you can half the resistance of every dirver to get 2ohms surely.

About the extent of my knowledge. :)

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can do it, but i wouldn't.
    there aren't a ton of heads that can power two ohm loads, and if one day you decide you like one of the many great heads that can only power down to 4 ohms, you have yourself an unusable cabinet. Likewise, there are power amps that can power 2 ohms, per side, but those same amps can only power 4 ohms in bridge mono mode.

4. Ya thats what I thought, thanks. Just a thought.

5. It could be because I'm way too lazy but I'd just buy a 4*10 and a 2*10 both 4 Ohms... or If building is your thing build them! I know it won't sound exactly the same but there's no reason it won't sound as good!

That way you always have the option of using a head that only does 4 Ohms! Add any power amp and power both cabs! OR if you go pre/power you can just use each channel to power each cab!

Also you don't always have to lug a 6*10 around... although that might not be a problem for you!

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

To expand on matt_dutyfree's idea, how about a 4 Ohm 4x10 and an 8 Ohm 2x10. Net impedance is 2.667 but that way you send 2/3 of the power to the 4x10 and 1/3 to the 2x10 so every speaker gets the same power . . .

7. I thik I may be able to get a 2x15 Mesa Boogie for $225(Wow), 800W (4Ohms). I'll sell my current 1x15, and put that under my 2x10. That should kick some ass.

P.S. Apparently this cab has 2 400W speakers and I can power each individually at 8Ohms each or mono at 4Ohms, pretty cool.

8. or use 16ohm speakers and build a pair of 5,3330hm 3x10" cabs!

9. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I havn't actually worked this out but: how about building it with a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm input? It can be both.

10. I'd thought about that. But the only way I see that could be done is by adding resistors and ****, and I'm not too sure how that'll affect the sound.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its not so much the sound as it is a waste of amp power. in the 4 ohm setting a bunch of the power your amp produces will be wasted.

12. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    How about 4, 16 ohm speaker in parallel hooked to a switch jack (marked 4 ohms, output number 1) then 2 more 16 ohm in parallel that connect at the 4 ohm switch jack connected to another output jack marked 2.6 ohms.

Now you have a 4x10, 4 ohm cab inside a 6x10 2.6 ohm cab.

?

13. It'd be more practical to have the cab switcheable between 2 ohms and 8 ohms. A simple DPDT can do this if you have two 4 ohm drivers or four 8 ohm drivers or eight 16 ohm drivers. But with 6 drivers, that won't work out to exactly 2 ohms with either 4, 8, or 16 ohm drivers (not and have them all draw equal power). And I sure wouldn't go below 2 ohms....