1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy idea to fix my busted Rickenbacker case

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by digbyben, Dec 11, 2017.

1. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    I've got a Rickenbacker 4003 bass I bought new in 2002, and it came with the standard hardshell plastic case. It's not the prettiest case but I always liked it because the interior is fitted (molded?) to the body shape of the Ric bass, and keeps it snug and secure. But ...

Of course every Ric bass owner knows what I'm gonna say next: the &*$# feet on the case have either fallen off or sank into the case itself. The plastic they made the thing out of is so fragile I had to baby the case almost as much as the bass itself!

So I've been trying to find a good replacement case, but I can't find anything that is molded to the shape of a 4000 series Ric bass. Even the official "vintage" Ric bass case just has an open cavity around the lower body, and I've heard people complain that the bass can slide around loose. And for the amount of money they charge it's an easy pass.

What I really want to find is a molded interior like I have with my original Ric case. But no third-party case manufacturer seems to offer a Rickenbacker specific molded case. And the actual Ric hardshell cases themselves now seem hard to track down too for a decent price.
    So I was wondering --- has anyone ever tried to gut the insides of those hard-shell fitted Rickenbacker cases and transfer it into a cheap generic bass case? I think it might actually work if I can find a cheap case with the right inside dimensions.

ICM likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Roadrunner molded plastic electric bass cases at Guitar Center fit a Rick 4003 pretty nicely.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  4. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    Thanks for the tip. Were they molded to fit a standard P bass?

5. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It's a universal fit case, the Ric body dimensions snug up nicely in the body area.

8. One option is to put fiberglass mat over the holes where the feet were & use some epoxy to hold it on & shape it.
    This is how I used to fix dings in my surfboard. It won't be pretty, but I guess you could paint it & put some rubber feet on it. (this is also how holes in Corvettes are repaired)

Other option is to buy a pelican case with the foam already in it, then just cut the foam how you want it to fit:

upload_2017-12-12_14-20-56. -pelican-storm-case-im-3300-custom-foam-insert-for-fender-precision-bass-guitar-4-pieces-4_large.

Pelican are some of the best cases out there, & will float. So if your bass falls out of a helicopter over water, you're golden.

9. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    Thanks for the link, that's the official "vintage" Rickenbacker case. I've read on other pages people complaining that their basses tends to shift around a lot in those, it doesn't keep them snug. Kind of sad when you consider the price they want!

10. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    Oh yeah? Cool! I just might need to take a road trip and check them out, the closest GC to me is about hour away.

11. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    Hey, thanks for the Pelican case tip! I've never heard of them, they didn't come up in my random google searches. Very interesting, I'm gonna def look into that!

Also thanks for the surf-board repair idea! I'd been thinking I could patch it up with plastic pieces and construction adhesive, maybe even try to use a molly bolt to put on feet. But the plastic on the case is just super thin. But I'm cool with a patch!

I love all of these ideas you guys, thanks very much!

12. We used Pelican cases when I worked offshore & loaded them up with expensive gear, stuff we couldn't afford to sink into the ocean if it got dropped in the drink, LOL.
    They're tough!

13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
  14. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
    They should do an online ad where they put expensive guitars into their cases and then fling them into a lake!

15. digbyben

digbyben

Oct 4, 2010
    south Indiana
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, a friend of mine was flying in a helicopter over the Gulf of Mexico and dropped his Ric. Unfortunately, gig bags don't float.

17. The Pelican cases themselves are VERY tough, although you may end up with an oversized case unless you get lucky on dimensions. I use Pelican cases for most of our field equipment.

I must caution you that although their Pick-N-Pluck foam can easily be configured to ft the bass, it breaks down fairly quickly with regular use. If you go that route, you will need to have foam formed to the bass (like the vase with the formed foam above) within a couple of years. Otherwise the foam will start to break loose around the edges and the bass will shift.

However, there are companies that do custom foam cut to fit the Pelican cases. This is one: https://www.mycasebuilder.com/

I got a biz card from one of the custom foam guys at Infocomm- you can PM me if you want me to look for it.

EDIT: there are also numerous posts in various firearm forums telling you how to cut foam to fit a rifle into a Pelican case. The same process would work nicely for a bass. Google it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pilgrim likes this.
  19. Yeah. Pelican is good stuff.
    We've used them at work to transport multi-10k$ video cameras half way across the globe and back.

20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I bought one of the Roadrunner cases, it’s a decent fit for a Ric, but not perfect. I think it would be easier to make a couple of rigid foam inserts to tighten up the fit, and cover them with fabric than a complete gut or liner transfer, which is what I plan on doing. It’s really a light duty case, though I think better than the crappy Ric cases. Fine for home use or occasional gig, but if you gig a lot, get something more bulletproof. The silver Tolex cases are nice, but not $300 nice, and they are HEAVY. I looked hard, nobody else makes a fitted Ric case.