Crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I had a thought here, and wanted some peoples opinions. I have an SWR 750, and goliath senior 6x10 cab. As ridiculous as it may sound, I have a hard time hearing myself onstage. Between the extreme stage volume, and my obviously deteriorated hearing (wife complains of loud TV all the time), I had this thought. Since my sound guy wants me to use a direct box anyhow, that makes my rig nothing more than a $2500 stage monitor I can't really hear anyway. All show, and a pain to haul and load.

I'm thinking of maybe selling off the gear, and trying out a bass POD, and a good set of in-ear monitors. I should still be able to dial my tone in, and always be able to hear my bass, and hopefully the monitors would help cut some of the direct db exposure from stage monitors. If I don't dial a perfect tone in with the pod, I'm sure the sound guy will run me direct again this setup would be MUCH easier to carry. Thoughts?
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    some people can't get used to not havin rumbling 'neath their feet (like me). if you arent one of these people go ahead.
  3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    The band needs a base to revolve around. What about stage monitoring for everyone else?
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Can you get the other guys in the band to turn down on stage??
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, my EQ settings are pretty much all flat, so onstage there isn't a lot of rumble due to the amps. The PA however seems to rumble things massively.

I always play off of the bass drum anyway, our drummer is pretty tight, and I have always found this to be the best way to get an overall tight sound. If someone did miss its presence, you could always add some bass to the floor monitor mix for them I suppose. Practice is the only time this could be a downfall, but then can't really hear me anyway.

Sure, I'll tell our men in Iraq to stop making so much noise also! :D Lost cause man.....
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    People either love in-ears or hate em, nothing in between.

My advice, see if you can borrow/hire a POD and a set of in-ears and try it out before you make any decisions.
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I was thinking of just trashing to pod idea, and maybe downsizing to a combo, like a nice used silverado special or something, and try out some ear monitors to go with it.
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Why don't you get a rackmount preamp and a in ear moniter system... Carvin makes one, I duno... And a preamp like the tech21 RBI, or the cheeper Agular?..

just a thought, you don;t want to sacrifice tone...

9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    One of the problems with normal cabs on stage is that they tend to aim the sound at your ankles. Monitor cabs cure this. Also, it would be nice if you could EQ and turn up your monitor signal without it affecting the sound of the rest of your rig.

So, my recipe: if you need to be able to play with backline only, get a smaller wedge combo, for example Ashdown MAG for your monitoring needs and Bass Driver(pedal) or RBI(rackmount) by Tech21 for splitting the signal and DI'ing it. You can EQ the combo so it stands out from the mix and turn it loud, and you will still have your normal signal going into the rest of the rig. You could even swap your cab for smaller one. This way you would have three different EQs: one in your rig for stage sound, one in monitor for your personal hearing and one in Tech21 for PA sound. It can be bit overkill but atleast it would be extremely flexible setup.

If you don't have need for backline, then just get couple of monitor cabs like SWR Monitor 12s and power them with your head, and use the amps pre-EQ DI or Tech21 to get the signal to the desk.
  10. Tecx, not appropriate to say 'Aguilar' and 'cheep' in the same sentence :)
  11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    sorry, gessh you got a point... Less expensive Agular then. :spit: