Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy Jazz Pup Idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Apr 13, 2004.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Please tell me if this idea has already been done, but I had a wacky idea a few minutes ago that I thought might work and might be somewhat nifty.
    Here it is. So, what you would do is glue like 5 or 6 jazz pickups together and then wire them so that you can have a switch near each pickup to turn it on and off. With this, you could have almost any j/j, hb/hb, hb/j pup combination. To get sort of a "humbucking" dual coil sound, you could turn on two pickups right next to each other.
    I don't have the money or the time to do this right now, but if someone wants to try, feel free.
    Just a thought. :D
    :bassist:

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Bump
    Anyone?
    Thoghts, Comments?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it might work but you would have to wire each one independently, and have consecutive ones switching direction so they act as a humbucker. They might also have to be matched (not sure about this but to get the humbucking to work) and of course, having two wound in the same manner would make hum worse I believe.

I've thought about trying to make a pickup like 2 J's together, but being split into four quadrants, like two Precisions mashed together, and selecting either J-like or P-like, or reverse P-like coils.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Those already exist--Bartolini makes a quad coil pickup. I've got two of them in my Curbow 8 string fretless wired P, all, reverse P configs. But, you could also wire them how you mentioned.

5. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I think the magnetic field of all those pups would mess around with each other, and that can't be good.
    Then again, I'm no scientist.

Good thinkin' though!

Laterz

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Is this Bart the size of 4 J pups, or just a soapbar with 4 coils crammed in there? I think it would be great to have the ability to chose where I want the pickups to be, to move around the sweet spot for certain sounds, like when you have 6 Js all over the body. I think Status made a pup called the Trident or something that was 3 Js put together. Also, wasn't there some weird guit*r with something like 8 individual single coils?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SWEET!!!

8. The Bart quad is like two split coil j's side by side but with each coil with its own set of wires, if you can get what I mean. Thats how you get the different combinations, by changing which coils you use.

I think I saw a bass (Valenti?) that had a j in a lipstick shell for each string, that is, they were parallel to the strings rather than perpendicular but that doesn't really count, unless you set it up so you could select different coils from each pup.

Or you could check out the pups Atlantsia use. The ones I've seen have like a coil for each string, so you put a whole mess of those in with stacks of switches and you're away. You'd just have to put them in with some order to how they're wound, so that when you turn them on and off you can make sure you're at least mostly humbucking.

Josh D

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I used to own a Status Gruv Bass and it has this pickup in it. It is a great sounding pickup but there was no coil switching options or series/parallel switch. There were alot more sounds in that bass waiting to come out.