Crazy lookin' bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ciaran, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Have any of you played the DeArmond ashbory bass?
    It looks frikkin' sweet and I'd love to know if it is actually any good.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    no, but since you brought it up, have you ever seen basslabs' basses? Wild! I can't imagine what they must sound like.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played one & I didn't like it at all!!!!! It felt like a toy.

It's a novalty thing. I've seen threads about it & people that like it say they use it for one or 2 songs during a set.

If you play one & like it, it's cheap enough to buy it & have it as a bass for one or two songs, but I didn't like it.
  4. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    Having an Ashbory isn't for everyone. If you play lots of latin or straight ahead jazz, it can be a great sound. For everything else, it's not exactly the best thing out there. It's great in the studio, though. I wound up playing it on quite a few sessions, with very good results.
  5. bootsy do a search on this page on the ashbory.
    there is a handful of info right on TB.
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have an Ashbory and I like it, but it is NOT my main bass. It is kinda gimmiky, but the sound from it is really cool (as long as you stay below the 7th fret). You can get very close to an upright sound from it and do some cool fretless things. I use it for a couple of songs with my band. It has a very boomy sound. It is kind of like a toy, but it is fun (and fairly cheap for the quality of sound it gives).
    I recommend it, but just not as your primary bass.

7. I know what would have happened if Ned Steinberger had been drunk when creating the XL! Hahahaha!

Love that little purple one! Supercool!
  8. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

see my post just this morning about these under the cheap bass thread.

I love mine, but it is really just a one trick pony. I suggest ordering up strings now while they are still around if you own one.

FYI these are a re-issue of an old American made Guild.

check out Also if you remeber the first cover Les did for bassplayer magazine, he talk about his ashbory (the guild original) and there is a picture or two of him with it. They might haveit archived in the artists section of