Crazy Loud Hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silent method, May 10, 2005.

1. Ok well I just changed my picguard and to do so i have to move the picups a little bit to fit. while they were out i tried to re-sheild the control cavity and i used some "exhaust tape" its basically aluminum tape all over the cavity. anyway now when i plug in my bass i get nothing but a crazy loud hum and i cant even hear the strings when played over the hum. any idea's?

possible problems i have thought of

the new shielding?
    pickup placement? (can they be backwards or upside down or somthing?)
    maybe a loose wire?

oh and its on a cheap pbass copy that i am just playing with for learning how to work on my own basses. thanks again.
  2. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    My guess is that your wires are not corrected properly. Either they are connected to the wrong things, or two of them are touching. A problem with shielding would give you hum but not more than the pickup output.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Could be poor grounding somewhere, although I've never seen grounding that was so bad that the hum was louder than the strings. Did you ground all the aluminum pieces to each other, and then to the circuit ground?
  4. yup, its all touching. i am fairly sure the problem isnt in the grounding because it is SOO loud. I did put on a new picguard what im thinking now is maybe one of the pots is touching the side of the control cavity, would that cause such a noise?