1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crazy MM/J Pickup Placement Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TapyTap, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Here are the specs:

MM style pup centered between the 24th fret and the bridge

J style pup centered between the axis of the MM pup and the bridge saddles

Series / Parallel switch for MM pup
    Series / Parallel switch for J pup
    Master volume
    Master tone

4-way rotary switch:
    1) MM
    2) MM + J (series)
    3) MM + J (parallel)
    4) J

* All passive electronics
    **Might possibly include a bypass switch to run MM and J pups straight to output jack

What do you think?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like the pickup placement of Warrior basses... which generally sound real good!

3. The wiring is do able.
    I assume that you will be using a humbucking Jazz pickup if you want series/parallel switching, correct? Series/parallel is not possible with a regular single coil.

I'm not sure what you mean about the pickups though.
    Can you elaborate further on the placement?

4. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks for pointing out the Warrior basses. I just went to their site and saw a 5-string with the MM/J type placement I have in my brain.

By the way, I also checked out your site.You have some very nice basses! I especially love your Bee; the single pickup idea is very appealing to me...28 frets is also part of my next build equation.

Bryan

5. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, the Jazz style pickup would be hum canceling. I am thinking of using a Q-Tuner BS for the bridge position: http://q-tuner.com/bs.shtml and a Q-Tuner BL for the "MM": http://q-tuner.com/bl4.shtml .

As far as the pup placement, The "MM" would be centered at the midway point between the 24th fret and the bridge (36th fret placement), and the "Jazz" would be centered at the 48th fret (I believe this is where a 73 Fender Jazz bridge pup is located). If I still have not made myself clear, please do not hesitate to ask me to clarify...you will not hurt my feelings one bit. I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to electronics...but I do want to learn! :help: