Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Sep 15, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I saw one of the craziest movies I've ever seen the other day (and I've seen alot of crazy movies). It's a korean film called Oldboy.

I can't even begin to explain the plot. Basically it's about a guy who was mysteriously abducted and imprisoned for 15 years, who is released and trying to figure out who did this to him and why. The plot is insane, with lots of bizzarre twists. Definitely not for the squeemish, as it contains some very controversial subject matter. The cinematography and production is great, its a visually stunning film. Lots of action, violence, etc...Anyway, I'm just blown away by this film.

I'm wondering what are some "crazy" movies you guys have seen?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Donnie Darko
    Memento

Both are fairly convoluted plot wise.

To a lesser extent, Requiem for a Dream and Fear and Loathing.

If short films count, the claymation video in Baby Snakes (and the explanation of it by the creator) is the single weirdest thing I've ever seen.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The Swimmer

Burt Lancaster

Aj

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Donnie Darko was pretty cool. I recently saw the director's cut which explained alot more.

Memento was great.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of my top 10 movies of all time! I love that movie. "We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really."

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Memento was a great movie.

I liked Pi too.

If you're into imprisonment for crazy reasons, check out Closetland. Very disturbing.

If you haven't seen it yet, Dee Snider (sp?) in Strangeland is very disturbing.

6. I liked Memento too.

Bad Boy Bubby is about a man who has been imprisoned by his mother all his life because she fooled him that only she could go outside because she had the only gas mask (right here you can see logic failing). For one thing she uses her son for sex. Then she dies and he is forced to go outside. Of course he meets the craziest people, and to him they are all right because the only person he ever met was his mother. It is kind of funny but a disturbing movie.

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Crazy you say?

How about Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive...pretty much anything by David Lynch gets my vote.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    David Lynch is great. Wild at Heart was a good Lynch film.

Eraserhead was bugged out...didn't he have some weird little pet worm or something? I don't remember it very well.

Mullholand Drive was fantastic, I loved that movie. Took me a few times to figure it out though. I don't mind the girl/girl action either. ;)

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The baby was deformed, and heavily swaddled. I could never figure out the larvae/worm things, unless they were supposed to represent the deformed sperm that led to the deformed baby.

Definitely just about everything by David Lynch is freaky.

Oh yea, since no one else mentioned it yet, how about A Clockwork Orange? That was one messed up flick.

10. +1 on Eraserhead.
    I'll go old school here. There's a movie from the 40's called "The Oxbow Incident." with Henry Fonda and Harry "Col. Potter" Morgan. It is this DARK western about men wrongly being accused of a crime and the lynch mob that forms to take care of them. This is some heavy stuff for the 40's (let alone today), and at the end, you just think to yourself "Humans really suck."

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Gummo by Harmony Korine is probably the single oddest, most disturbed, but one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It scares me.

12. Fight Club the first time you see it. Especially if you have no clue what its about.

The Salton sea too.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Definitely.

Kubrik was a great director. The Shining is pretty crazy...one of my favs.

I never saw the Salton Sea...I'll have to check it out.

14. MAGNOLIA

er... STILL CRAZY (not effed up but a good film 'bout a once-successful rock band re-forming after a 20 year split) bloody good soundtrack (god, imagine if you were a songwriter for the film - the brief being "Write a greatest hits album for a 70's rock band that didn't exist" - JEEZ...)

Oh yeah - the original japanese "Ring" is effing scary to watch in the dark at 2 o clock in the morning (if you don't know the plot)

:cool:

15. Twelve Monkeys by Terry Gilliam is a must see.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Reservoir Dogs was crazy.

-Mike

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I actually thought that movie was fair until he dropped the ball with the ending. Salton Sea that is.

Maybe the ending of 2001 counts.

18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Eraserhead! The weirdest movie I have seen.
    I have also seen Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. David Lynch is great. I would have seen more Lynch movies if my flatmates actually wanted to watch with me.