Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crazy neck dive

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by riotboi911, Dec 23, 2004.

1. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    ok. so for the bass im building. the body is super thin.

and the neck is probably twice as heavy.

what can i do?

i was thinking getting an exact weight of both the neck and body. find the difference. head to my local metal shop and get a piece of steel and bolt it to the backside where the bridge meets.

2. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
  3. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    i had a badass 2 that i was gonna use for it. but i decided to drop it onto my yamaha instead.
    thx for the suggestion. but i really don't have much to spend and the neck is ALOT heavier so i need a cheap solution that will make a much more drastic change.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very long upper horn have it go up to the 9th or 10th fret.......t

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Or, don't put the other strap pin on the bridge end of the bass. Get some gaffer/duck/duct tape and tape the strap to the body in different places until you find the correct balance. On one of my Alembics with a standard small hollow body shape, I use the traditional neck heel/body position and on the back of the upper horn (previous owner had already drilled a hole here) and it balances perfectly in the rather steep playing angle I prefer and the strap is never in the way whilst playing.

Because this is a custom, you are not restricted to the traditional upper horn and bridge positions. Place them where they work best for you. mheintz's suggestions should also be considered to finalise the correct balance

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Put your bridge side strap pin here and use light tuners.
    [​IMG]

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

drives me nuts when a bass isn't balanced. On the other hand it's not critical on a real light bass like the Hofner violin style. Still, it's another thing to have to think about that shouldn't be an issue period. As Dharma said, strap pin locale would probably be simplest, cheapest, and most effective remedy. A light bass is a real plus and it would be a shame to chunk pounds on to a bass simply to balance it.

8. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    i put on the strap thingys as you guys suggested. i guess it work a LITTLE. but i find it alright when im playing cause i rest my forearm on the bass which keeps it in place (fingerstyle). the bass is really really light so it doesn't seem like much of a problem. when i let go of the bass. the neck will slowly plumit to the ground. still good. thx mates