1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy painful toe spasms

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Does anyone else experience painful toe spasms where one toe seems to be levitating and trying to leave your foot?
    This has been happening to me.
    I can't believe how much this hurts and how weird it is.
    Sometimes it happens when I'm asleep and I have dreams that my foot is caught in a bear trap or is being chewed off by a shark.
    Standing on it helps, but it takes a while before it gives up on its escape.
    Anyone else have this happen?

2. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes, WAY painful and NOT fun. Actually happened to me earlier this evening. It usually happens after wearing certain pairs of shoes. All that helps me is massaging the cramping muscles, stretching them out, and waiting till it passes.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Go to the doctor.

4. Since your toe is obviously testing the limits of breaking away from your power sphere, you have to go all Red Army and crack down on it with a rifle butt/baton/water cannon.

5. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Could be dehydration
    Drink water when it happens

6. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I get these sometimes. They seem to start in my calf muscles, which become very rigid, then travel through the sole of my foot to the big toe, which does indeed lock at an uncomfortable angle.

As noted, gentle stretching, massage, and heat can help with spasms and cramping, as can proper hydration.

Leg and foot cramps are sometimes related to electrolyte imbalance. Try adding some potassium-rich foods to your diet, or consider a supplement like Emergen-C.

Also--and this may be obvious--do you have an exercise regimen that may be contributing? In general, I only get the spasms when I get sloppy about things like stretching and rest.

Finally, remember what Uncle Jake said: "If your dogs aren't happy, nothing's happy!" Look at your shoes. Quality footwear is what separates us from the animals.

7. could be gout.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That **** wants Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S Bananas

9. Thanks for the info.
    I'll be sure to drink more water and Gatorade.
    I do eat bananas regularly.
    I've been on a pretty strenuous workout routine for the last two months. That's when it started.
    I'll try to vary my diet more.
    I don't want a toe that wants to run away from home after all.

10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've had these also, and they seem to be a result of wearing certain footwear, specifically sandals or slippers that don't stay on my foot. This results in me having to use my toes to keep them on. After I take them off -- toe cramps! Dehydration can contribute to this as well.

11. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    You may also want to make sure that your pre-workout stretch includes foot stretches. I know that sounds stupid, but I used to get foot cramps all the time when skating and playing soccer in high school(I assume because both use weird muscles in your feet sometimes) and I started doing extension stretches with my toes and the muscles on the sole of my foot and they happened far less regularly.

12. 1st stop: doctor.
    2nd stop: podiatrist

If you're wearing flip-flops: stop.

If your shoes are too tight: stop.

If you're wearing pointy-toed shoes: stop.

Good shoes that fit well and don't constrict your foot are very good friends. Also, feet do not get any better as you get older. Act now.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    3rd stop: liquor store

14. I live in flip flops :eek:
    My toes have total freedom there.
    I'm not giving that up.

15. I like you.

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nor should you!
    Emancipate your lower phalanges from the shackles of socks and shoes!

Thanks! You seem nice :)

17. For some reason I get them more in the winter than the summer. It usually happens to my middle toe on my right foot, the one next to my big toe. It's freaking painful! All I can do is wait until it passes. :atoz:

18. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Are you having fun?

19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Give it up for a month and see what happens.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Stretching is what will cure this. It doesn't start in your calfs. It starts in your ham's... Totally related to your workout regimen. Get a good ham & calf stretch routine.

I start on the floor, legs out at about 90 degrees apart or whatever is comfy. Lean forward while keeping the back straight . You bend at the waist, don't curve your back. Hands on the floor out in front, breath deep and feel the ham stretch. Migrate to the same stretch feet together when comfortable. Concentrate in the ham string stretch the whole time. When I feel like switching it up, I use a door way, 1 leg through, 1 leg @ 90 up the wall, small of my back square on the floor for the ham after some general loosening up.

Then I move to the downward dog yoga position and concentrate more on calfs. Then I do stairs... Actually, I do a downward dog on the stairs and drop my heels which really works to lengthen my calfs.

You should also be paying a attention to your IT bands if you are tightening up, they are hell, absolute hell to loosen up again... I use the foam roller technique which is painful as hell but seems to work

I get this more in the winter due to aggressive alpine skiing and my stretching regimen goes to pot... The rightness seems to maybe have a positive affect on skiing at times.... Summer time I'm cycling and have to stay looser.

This stretching thing doesn't get easier as you age. Get on it, stay on it... Lot's of stuff will work better...