1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy Peavey Head Problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djrock86, Apr 28, 2010.

1. djrock86

djrock86

Apr 28, 2010
    So ive been using this Peavey mark viii head for a little bit now, and not had a problem but all of a sudden it started making a really weird buzzing/hissing noise...I changed cables and all that and still continued to do so...I turned it off for a while, then back on and it worked fine for about 15 minutes then the same thing again...What could this possibly be???

OH by the way everytime I hit the sustain button in it would instantly cut out my bass and make nothing but noise...

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Unless you're familiar with, and comfortable doing electronics repair, your best bet is to take it to an amp tech. Could be anything, really, and the only way to know for sure, is to have a professional look at it.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that sounds like a cold solder joint, a dirty/oxidized connector, a contact on a 'switched jack' (input or send recieve), or a switch to me, but, as already stated by RickenBoogie, if you're not familiar with working on amplifiers, you can eaisly do more harm than good attempting to repair it yourself. it should be fairly simple and inexpensive to diagnose and repair for a competent tech.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Mark VIII?

That is most likely a late 70's or early 80's amp... IIRC Peavey cut the Mark VIII around 1985 give or take a few years.

So... can anyone say "Cab job"???

Tech time sir!

Should be an easy fix.

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Sounds like a bad Molex connection ... could be as simple as cleaning the pins & sockets and retension the sockets ...or like Johnk said ...a bad switching jack or solder joint