Crazy Price on 5 string...what's going on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 9, 2001.

1. O.K. a lot of you here know me, and how nuts I am about my Epiphone Jack Casady. This thread isn't about that.

I'm looking for a decent 5 string maybe in the $700.00 range.

Now I went to Musiciansfriend just to browse and saw a bunch of good stuff. Then I went to Sam Ash again just to browse, and they have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 5 string
    for $219.00, and it's not on sale. I went back to Musiciansfriend, and they want $469.99! What is going on?
    That's like 2 for 1!

I want to get a 5 string very badly and I'm not super crazy about a Les Paul style body for a bass, but, if this thing sounds remotely decent, how can I, or anybody go wrong for

Has anyone played/own one? I mean how bad can it be? I want to get the best I can for the money, but I really don't need another bass, and if I save about $500.00 bucks, why not? I'm not cheap by any means, but the less I spend the more the *Domestic Tranquility* you know what I mean?

Mike J.
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Just my opinion, but I won`t get a five for less then $800. Most of the b-strings are very floppy and you won`t be able to use them in the way they are supposed to be used.

Maybe look at used basses or a go for a Spector at Musicians Friend.

Just my cup of tea !

3. I learned a valuable lesson, with a Carlos Borelli 6 string......I took it home, played it awhile....Brought it back 8 days later......You get what you pay for.....But if you really like it, buy it...
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You'll get used to that B, I'm betting, and then appreciate what a good B sounds like...and it will no longer be a "bargain," but $219 you could have put towards something you could have lived with.

Kind of like coupons - they don't save you any money if you weren't going to buy the item in the first place.
  5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Get a MTD Kingston 5. Great B string, great price.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Besides the Kingston, theres the Ibanez BTB405. Surprisingly unibanez, if you get my drift. Killer B.
  7. I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 5 string....And I like it, Even though it is neck heavy.

This is my first 5 string so I'm still just getting used to it. I paid $385.00 and thought I got a good deal.
    I just need the B string for a few songs so it's not like I would be playing it all night long...In that light, It suits me fine.
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have no personal experience but I've had several people rave about the Dean 5 string. It may be worth a look, anyway.
  9. I played the 4 string les paul bass a while back. I loved that thing, the neck was kinda bulky, but I have big hands, so it wasnt a problem. I tone was what I wanted, just didn't have $400 or whatever they wanted it for. If the B string is decent, I say go for it!
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    go with the Czech Spector. forget the body style and go for the massive sound of the spector. you have a bass that you like for the sound and the look, the jack casady so don't be misleaded by the body shape.
  12. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    The squier P-special is around the same price and it has a remarkably good B for the $$. I have played it before too.
  13. holderman

May 25, 2000
    Another vote for the Squier. You can't beat it for the price. I LOVE mine.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I was spending $200 - $300, the Squier Precision Bass Special 5 is what I would get. Has a better B string than a lot of $1000 5 strings. It could use better electronics, but then so could most basses that cost less than $500.

If you've got a little more cash, I suggest that you try the Ibanez BTB405. It is on sale at GC this month for $549.00, and has a B string that blows away a lot of $1000 - $1500 basses, and much better electronics than the Soundgears. Ibanez finally did something right!

I still haven't had the pleasure of playing an MTD Kingston 5, but it's gotten a lot of rave reviews on this board, and sells for around the same price as the Ibanez BTB.

In the end, you might prefer the Epiphone, but I would recommend checking out these 3 budget priced 5's before making a decision.

Good luck!:)
  15. Hey everyone, thanks for all the input. I'm not a spur of the moment type guy, but when I saw that price I went nuts. I haven't played it yet, but, I'm only three subway stops away from Sam Ash's Manhattan store. I could pick one up on the way home. I must control myself. My whole point was that it's probably a good bass at an unheard of price. I was really thinking of either an Ibanez BTB405 or an Ergodyne, but all of your other suggestions were kind of on my list. Ya see I can get a little nutty with money. If I say I'm going to spend $700.00 on a bass I then convince myself to spend $1,000.00 by putting it on a credit card, this way I've only spent $300.00 ------- See what I mean? As I said, I really don't need another bass(which of us really do?) but I do want a five string to round out my stable. True, if I save that $219.00
    and put it towards something I really want I'll be better off in the long run. But then again...

Three little sudway stops...

Hey Aluminumcat, how does this thing actually sound? How much does that varitone switch actually change the tone?

Thanks again everyone, I was just in shock for a moment.
    Mike J.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean, Michael. I sometimes have to catch myself and ask, "Was it the price that attracted me, or the gear?"
  17. Well Michael,

The pup's don't seem to be as hot as on my Gibson Ripper but they don't sound bad. The 5-way switch does make a difference, but I'm starting to use the volume controls more than the switch. for a more thorough review check out the review at Harmony Central.

And if You can play it first......DO IT!

I hope this helps.

P.S. I wish they made a Jack Casady 5 string.
  18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I heard some advice years ago...that I have found also applies very well to my bass purchases.

"If it isn't what you REALLY want...then it's not a ANY price."
  19. I like that. Very wise.

Aluminumcat, thanks for the link. It actually got me even more interested, but, I must use self restraint.

Mike J.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd agree, with a rider:

...unless you can buy it and offset the cost of what you really want. I bought a BC Rich Mockingbird cheap, 20 years ago solely for the purpose of trading it towards my first Tobias.