1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy rich people...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 2, 2007.

1. I work at a local Golf Club (established since 1901). It has a lot of reputation, and only rich people (aka people who earn millions without having to do much) go there... Yesterday, a waiter from my section had a table of 6 customers, and they ordered food and drinks that totaled up to $910.36. :eek: :eek: :eek: They didn't order like 30 plates of steamed lobster and took them home, they just ordered a dish for each and everyone, along with a few drinks and desserts... Man, 910 bucks for a dinner, that's not including the fee for playing golf/tennis and receiving other services there.
    Usually each person will eat and drink 30 dollars worth of dinner and drinks, 50 is the highest I've seen... But man, $910 for 6 people, that's $150 each person.

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    defintely insanity. the kind of insanity i want to partake in.

3. Yeaup, they're spending their 100 dollar bills like quarters.

4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    WOW! I sure hope they tipped you well :bassist:

5. Nobody tips here, it's the clubs rule "Employees must not accept tips." and people don't tip here (not because they lack manners or anything, it's just how the club has been for the past 100 years)... :crying: And they pay me based on how many hours, not how much my customers eat. So whatever the customers do (unless they tell my manager how bad I am), my pay will not change... :scowl:

And also, it wasn't my table... LOL

6. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Ugh, that's pretty bitter irony. You work at a place that serves some extremely wealthy people, but you're not allowed to accept tips:spit:

7. I'm not exactly rich but there's been many times where my knife show friends and I have topped that, especially in Vegas. A few drinks, appetizers and ordering from the wine list will add up FAST! I've been out to dinner with companies where it's been double that much. Would I pay that much myself?? Sure :)..........................NOT!! :eyebrow:

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's all relative. I can remember thinking a $25 date night was expensive about 18 years ago when I was in high school. Now $25 is the bar tab while my wife and I wait for a table to clear up. Plus $30 for the baby sitter, $60 for an average dinner, and another $20 for a movie and popcorn, and it costs us nearly $130 just to have a simple night out together.

We went to Ruth Chris a few months back with another couple. We didn't have any drinks at all, but did have a couple of appetizers and desert. Bill was around $400. I've been to the Commander's Palace in New Orleans and seen bills much larger than that.

I have a good friend that is an orthopoedic doctor who got into a small partnership with some other doctors. He says that the surgeons there routinely bring home $200k per month. If you're making money like that, what's a $1000 dinner to you? Heck, many of them pay 6 figures a year just to be members at the local country club. There's not much that smacks of snobbery like old money in the deep south.

9. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    How can you work at a rich country club without receiving tips...I thought was the reason to even work at a place like that. Anyway how much is the hourly rate you get?

10. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    at a country club (im guessing from what i've heard if its private, which im assuming it is) on top of the yearly membership fee, each person has to spend so much a week in the clubhouse to keep their membership. one place near where i live is $20,000 to join, $15,000 per year AND you need to spend at least $250 a month in the clubhouse... these people are crazy

11. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Please don't say minimum wage :ninja:

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Another Mobilian. Not many of us on TB! I've got a good friend who is the event coordinator at Ruth's Chris. It's really not uncommon for people's tabs to end up around $200 each. Last time I was in there, back in December, there were 7 of us, and the bill was right around $1000. We had several reasons to celebrate, though, and that included some champagne and a $125 shot of cognac. :smug:

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Cool! You're the only other one I know of now! There has to be more of us out there though, lurking....

14. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    So take the tip anyways it's not like they're going to see. I mean it's not like they have these

[​IMG]
    hanging all over the walls what is there to worry about.:bassist:

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    lbpark doesn't post much any more, but he's here in town. Xush hasn't been active in a few years, but I still see him out every now and then. And there's one or two others who post pretty rarely.

16. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    My personal high is $60 for a prime rib meal at the Mesa Grill inside Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. I thought that was high-rollin! I was WROOOONG!

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    it can be nice when you get gigs for folks like that...:D

18. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Heh. My boss will bet 5 grand on a game of football and not even blink.

Must be nice. :rolleyes:

:D

19. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I've gone about $60 a couple of times as well but only one time in particular (Lumiere in West Newton) did I think the food lived up to the price (actually it was bargain - it was that good).

If it was on someone else's tab and there was some serious vintage wine involved - I'd love to be in on one of those $150/head meals.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Oh yeah? I've spend $50 on Jack in the box dollar menu, now that's high rollin...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021