Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy Train info

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by professorfrink, Nov 6, 2005.

1. professorfrink

professorfrink

May 31, 2005
    Hey there.....Im a fairly new bass player, and have learned Crazy Train by Ozzy. I know, its not a very difficult song, but theres a spot in the chorus that I cant figure out how to play. Right after "Im going off the rails on a crazy train", I cant figure out the proper technique to play the F# on the E string, and the F# on the D string at the same time. Ive seen alot of players just leave out the note on the D string, but it doesnt sound right of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    p.s. I hope Ive posted this in the right place

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have to practice string skipping, like doing things like playing scales with the root followed by the octave, or even just practicing playing a root and an octave in 16th notes. Start slow and gradually build up speed.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Are these really played at the same time? To me it sounds like alternating octaves. Low High Low High ...

4. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    I think you are right.
    it´s alternating.
    And can be played with middle-index-middle-index etc... or index-middle-index-middle for you right handed.

-V

5. professorfrink

professorfrink

May 31, 2005
    Thanks for your responses! And yes, you are right, they do alternate, I guess I phrased that wrong :meh:
    Was just wondering on a good technique to be able to play that part well :D

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Think of the octave skip as an accent. You're emphasizing the F# by playing it and then jumping up an octave and playing it again. The above suggestions are good advice, but try expirimenting with differnt ways to accomplish the same thing. For example I used to play that same part with F# on the E, then slide to the octave on the A string. Same ntoes, different effect. The more ways you can play a given note the more options you have for making your line vocal and expressive.

7. professorfrink

professorfrink

May 31, 2005
    Thanks Tash, Ill try that and see how it sounds! :)