1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy Tube Circuits - Planet B or Pike Amplification - Vulcan

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tflk, Jan 14, 2018.

1. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the Pike only because the similarities to Darkglass. Plus I'm in Seattle - and these are build right up the road from me. Not a lot out there on the Planet B - Just curious if anyone has tried these.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Well, those two are completely different animals, so the question you need to ask yourself is what sound are you going for? The modern fizzy clank of the Pike or the seemingly more natural sounding Planet B. I own a Pike and love it so that would be my personal suggestion, but again, the answer really lies with what you are trying to sound like.

Having said all that, I just discovered a pedal that is a bit more satisfying to my ears and would actually be the perfect mix between the sounds of the Pike and the B. It's called the Buzz by Shift Line and I think you might like it better than your stated choices. Good luck and have fun......and don't listen to anyone who gives you crap about wanting a Pike because of some Darkglass fanboy stance.

BrentSimons and 76jazzbass like this.
  3. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    Good stuff man ... Thank you for the comments. Yeah - I totally agree. I don't listen to those DG cronies.

Well - before you posted this - I went with the Pike. Got a good price from Reverb. I'm excited to hear it with my set-up. Plus I like that I can use the 18v power to get more headroom.

The A+ by Shift Line was cool - didn't even know about that one. I also saw on youtube the Beta Preamplifier by Shift Line. Damn - That thing kicks ass. I'm going pretty subtle with the overdrive - So, I'm hoping the Pike does what I think it will. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    2010P likes this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    You're welcome. You made a good choice. My Vulcan XL is my primary workhorse, although it might actually be knocked out by the Buzz soon. Something about the Buzz just speaks to me. It's like the Pike/DG sound but a bit thicker.

5. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    Hey - So I bought the Vulcan XL from Spencer on Tuesday (got to see the shop as well - cool guy) But that pedal is just not doing it for me. I have the Way Huge Green Rhino, and found when switching back and forth - it sounded better with my rig. And that thing was only $99 ... crazy.

Anyway - I got to looking at the A+ Buzz and thought, damn - that thing is cool. I got the notification via email that I can have it for $155 from Russia. Do you actually have one? Just wanted to know what you thought. I'm a little hesitant, cause I'm not looking for distortion - More of an overdrive is where I'm headed. I guess if I get it and don't like it, I could sell on Reverb pretty quickly.

I'm also still thinking about the Planet B. I see that in February, they are releasing a Planet B Plus. So, I may wait on that. So man ... What are your thoughts? And thank you for the suggestions.

6. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Yes, I do in fact own one and it is simply the thickest and most muscular of the "Darkglass sounding" pedals I've tried. I've tried the B3K and the A/O so that is my basis for comparison. The Buzz is much more thick in the midrange and simply cuts better. It goes from light OD to full on distortion, but never loses clarity and girth. I actually took my Pike Vulcan XL off the board in favor of the Buzz. I am not set up for soundfiles, but it literrally sounds exactly like all those videos online so if you like that sound, go for it. Mine took about 3 weeks to get here from Russia, but it was sent during Christmas time which slowed things down. The build quality is amazing for the price and I particularly love it because almost no one else has one. So if you want the Darkglass/Vulcan sound without the weird top end air and fizziness, go for the Buzz. I am thinking it is really a B3K clone with improvements made to the circuit for more girth and fatness. Really a perfect mix of a "traditional" sounding OD and the more "modern" Darkglass stuff. Feel free to ask any more questions if you think of any.

7. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    I was also looking hard at the Alpha Omicron, but after what you just said, I might just hit up that Buzz. And for only $155 - not a bad price to pay. And I bet if I don't dig it, I'll be able to sell it pretty easily right here.

And that's the description I was looking for!!! Top end air. I couldn't shake that sound - drove me crazy. I'm meeting with Spencer today - he agreed to take it back. You just saved me $100 - Thanks man. I'm going to pull the string and get the guys in Russia to send this thing. Looking forward to it.

Real quick - Have you owned the Planet B? That's my only hang-up now. Buzz vs B ...

And thank you for responding. Good to hear from others on this subject. I've combed TB for days looking for the answer and I think you might have answered it.

Thank you

8. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    No problem at all. But don't get too excited because you may end up hating it. I don't think you will though. It definitely has none of that top end air, but again, it's solidly in the "Darkglass" camp in terms of tonality and feel. Just a hell of a lot thicker. I'm very happy you decided to go for it and I hope it works out for you. Please just remember not to blame me if it doesn't;). Remember, this is just one man's opinion.

I have no experience with the planet B, but from listening to it, it sounds much more "traditional" than the Buzz. The Buzz is just simply a really musical pedal that should/will inspire your playing.

9. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    well said ...

And man - no blame on you if I hate it. Have a great weekend.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021