Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crazy wife wedding ring thing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Dec 23, 2004.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Any other married players need to remove youre wedding ring before you play? If i can make my wife belive that i take my wedding ring off because it gets in the way of my playing rather than doing it because i am trying to gets chicks then i will be set! I have seen players keep rings on before but when i play with one on i find that it makes a horrible noise when it hits a string or rubs against the neck. I try to explaine that i have been playing for more than 20 years and most of that playing was without a ring! Now that i have one its a huge problem. Just wondering if any other bassist out there do this as well?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sorry, my ring never touches the strings, on guitar or bass.

3. I can't wear a ring while playing. My left hand doesn't feel "right" and the ring does get in the way. As soon as I am done, it goes back on. Too easy.

4. I'm not married, but I do remember a good sized thread on this a while back... a search would probably help.

5. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Mine comes off when I play, or else it drags all over the fret wire ends at the lower edge of the neck.

F$%ks up the ring, F$%ks up my playing.

That little tiny pocket on the right side of your jeans is a safe place to put the ring while you play.

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Sorry bro, can't help ya here. I do know the sound your talking about thou. Mine will make the same sound somtimes. I have gotten use to playing with it on.

I have a wider ring then most and it dosn't really fit my finger that well, and if I get it resized I would never get it off.

Are you just married 'cause I tried not to ware my ring as you have, and got into the same ol sh** your into now. :)

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I know from first hand experience that women on the make will look for men who are married.

Women who want to fool around with no commitment will look for the wedding ring. A married guy is the perfect person for them as a married guy will not try to start a relationship...but he might fool a round on the side (at least from what the women are thinking).

Want more action? Even if you aren't married, wear a wedding ring to gigs. Want to keep women from hitting on you? Take the ring off if you have one.

I wear mine, but I love my wife and neither one of us are worried about it.

8. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    i usually take mine off, it just feels better to me while i'm playing

9. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    Most married orchestra string players I know wear their rings on their right hands. Seems a good solution...

10. I agree with a.meyer wear your ring on your pluckin hand

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is one of very few advantages of playing lefty :smug: Ring stays on my plucking hand. I can hear it now... "really honey, I am only taking the ring off because it inteferes with my playing". That would go over like a lead balloon. :rolleyes:

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    a trumpet player friend of mine used to wear his wedding band on a necklace during his gig...

:)

i have seen this with quite a few string players as well (what a.meyer said)

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh, and one other fact. Gay men in relationships traditionally wear their wedding ring on the right hand. :eek: Not that there is anything wrong with that! ;)

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    tee hee - fellow lefty bassist here:

I'll be engaged by tomorrow morning!!!! Thanks for bringing this up, i never really thought about it! :)

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    WAIT!! ("never really thought about it" is right.)

Ya better think now. There's still time to back out, Man!

Joe

16. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Personally, I dislike wearing rings on my fingers no matter what hand they are on, I also can't wear a bracelet either. I just don't feel comfortable.

17. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    My fiance and I already have an understanding about the wedding ring. I used to wear a pinky ring and couldn't play with it on. She knows this, and understands. We have a good relationship, so the issue of me trying to pick up other women is... well... not an issue!

Wearing the ring on the right hand while playing is a ridiculous idea in my situation. I play aggressively and my hand moves quickly and powerfully. I couldn't play 4 bars without it flying off.

18. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL the wife thing was really more of a joke! She knows that she will never get in the way of my music and she respects that fact! The bigger issue is the noise that it makes while i play! But i will try some of the advice on here as to wearing it on the other hand! If it will go on there.

I will agree with the above saying that woman will hit on married men if they see the ring! But the only problem with that is that they r usully a drunk nasty toothless woman wearing a 1988 dokken shirt that smells like the guys from the band dokken still. I know some of you guys have seen these creatures. I had one almost pull me off stage with my ummmm member. Scared the poop out of me! :rollno:

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well!? It's 'tomorrow'! Are you engaged now?

Joe

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Nope not to her! lol instead i married a stalker that went to all of r shows! kinda scared me when i walked into her room and she had all of r flyers hanging on her wall! :eek: