Cream colored DiMarzio P Bass P/U

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pkeeg, Sep 28, 2003.

1. I'm wondering if anyone knows something I can do (or have done) to improve the sound of the above metioned P/U without going to the expense of simply replacing it.
    Thank you and regards- Phillip
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Improve the sound of the pickup itself? Uhhh...I don't know how one would do that. Replace it? Add a preamp?
  3. Phillip, you can rewind the pickup or have this guy at Lollars do it for $45 US.

Lollar Guitars
    PO Box 2450
    Vashon, WA 98070
    (206) 463-9838

;) Treena
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Adjusting the height is the first thing that came to mind. Next, try some different brand/style strings. Those pickups were highly sought after in the 70s.
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dude...I love those pickups. Lemme know if you wanna get rid of it.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like Rumblethump suggested, changing brands of strings will make the greatest immediate change.

I suppose that you could put a series/parallel switch in too. I personally don't care for the tone of a parallel connect P pup but you might like it.
  7. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    i tried the parallel wiring once and didn't like it at all. i found that these sound absolutlely incredible when you bypass the passive tone control and maybe the volume control. it really brings out the highs. much more percussive and sparkly.
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Yep, that's the way I had my P-bass rigged before I put in the Duncan Vintage P. The adjustable pole pieces are also nice to have. Hmmm, maybe I should put the DiMarzio back in...
  9. Thank you everyone for your ideas.I went to the local electronics shop and bought a universal preamp moduale for about $15 & a 9volt battery put it in and talk about Hot Rod, this axe has become a nitro burning dragster. The tone is HUGE and so is the signal so I have to run it into the amp via the effects loop return which lowers the signal a bit but because of the massive head room I still have to watch the volume control.I also wired the pu in series which gave a brighter tone which is great for the big dumb rock. I put a switch in the circuit for passive because of the nice tone it has for my jazz playing.
    Thank you again & best regards Phill.:)
  10. Metal Mitch, how about a direct comparision of the Duncan and DiMarzio, since you have both?

I'm curious what you observed about the Vintage Duncan after the DM. I own a new Vintage SPB-1, but have not yet installed it. I'm kinda reluctant to replace my DP146.
  11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I really can't add much more to what I posted on the other DiMarzio thread. And it's been 10 years or so since I switched to the Duncan Vintage P.

Is it fair to make a direct comparison between a vintage and non-vintage pickup? I think both are good, but suited for different styles of music. I switched to the Duncan Vintage P when I was playing a lot of blues gigs. It sounds much smoother and mellower than the Dimarzio Model P, has lower output, and adds a bit of that signature Duncan midrange grind.

I was using the Model P for hard rock / classic metal stuff, and it's great for that. Much more aggressive than the Vintage P, and much more snarly/growly on my swamp ash P Bass - especially with the pole pieces cranked. I could get almost pinch harmonic-like squeals in the high mids with the Model P on a swamp ash body. I'm sure it would respond differently on an alder body.

That's about all I can tell you without re-installing it and doing a new A/B comparison. But after reading your posts about the Dimarzio Will Power Middle, I'm really tempted to try that next. It's either going to be that or the Duncan Quarter Pounder I have lying around collecting dust.

Bruce, if you already have the Duncan Vintage why don't you just try it? ;) *nudge* *nudge* *poke* *poke* Besides, you write better reviews than I do. :D

Hope this helped,

P.S. regarding wiring - when I switched to the Vintage P I also reconnected the volume and tone controls, and decided to try 500k pots. For my taste in a blues sound the 500k is too bright. 500k may work better with alder. I just put Fender flatwounds on this bass, and still feel the 500k is too bright. Next stop 333k resistor mod, then back to 250k. If I'm still not satisfied at that point I'll try the 1/4 pounder or the DP146.