1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Submission Cream cover of Born Under a Bad Sign

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Feb 9, 2019.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I was listening to this version long before I heard the Albert King version. The notes aren't that different (key is different), but the articulation is pure Jack Bruce.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the transcription.

I'll have to go back and listen to the original recording but I've been playing this for years with the note on the 4th beat of the vocal verses as a F on the D string and the note on the 1 on the next measure the G also on the D string.

The F is the same note as on the & of the previous beat, and I hear it as an & before the 1 of the next measure G with a rest between the 2 Fs that gives it the bounce.

The first occurrence would be measure 12 in the transcription.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks. I wasn't sure whether I should change the octave of the G note on 1 or the rhythm of the F on 4 (vs & of 4). I listened to it again, and I think I had the rhythm off. I think the Bb in beat 4 of measure 12 is on the &. Please give it another listen and let me know which measures I need to fix. Thanks for the feedback!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

LeeNunn and oldrocker like this.
  5. ChrisDev

ChrisDev Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Ritter Instruments Team & Owner BassLessons.be
  6. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Chris, I should have checked your site first, but I had fun doing the transcription.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. ChrisDev

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    It's good to have more than 1 transcription of the same song. Having fun doing this is the most important thing!

Spidey2112, JimK and LeeNunn like this.
  8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That's the real stuff. I really like this video. Clapton tries to start his solo over the 2nd verse at 1:10 and the jack smile at 3:55.

Jack doesn't play it the same way all the time but you can clearly see the F to G on the D string during the verse at 1:17

Whousedtoplay and LeeNunn like this.
  9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
  10. ChrisDev

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Wow, a lot went wrong there. Nobody noticed or felt like mentioning this for 4.5 years :woot:
    Thank you @Whousedtoplay
    Corrected version attached and online

Attached Files:

Spidey2112 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dissonance, I get...what are "chords"?

:)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Both of you (& jloch) have made this Forum special/fun. It is appreciated.

13. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Went back and listened again last night. For the vocal verses the note on the 4 & is an F not a Bb. First occurrence would be in measure 12 of the original transcription.

It does the F to G 4 times in all 3 vocal verses, when it transitions to the chorus "Born Under a Bad Sign ...", it goes to the Bb.

Under the guitar lead it also uses the Bb on the 4 &. Different than the vocal verses.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  14. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    That sounds like measure 11, which is the last measure of the first verse, because I notated the first five notes as a pick-up. In retrospect, that makes the automatic numbering more confusing. That last measure of the first verse is the only time I hear an F on the & of 4. I did make a couple of revisions, which I posted, and there are some minor differences between mine and the one Chris posted. Chris, isn't that a D7 chord in measure 11 of the guitar solo? By the way, I really appreciate the way you always identify the chords in your transcriptions.

Spidey2112 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  15. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I think you may be right. Thanks.

Great song, thanks for posting (and re posting :thumbsup:)

LeeNunn likes this.
  16. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks for taking the time to read the transcription and give feedback. You prompted my corrections.

Spidey2112 and oldrocker like this.
  17. DaddySangBass

DaddySangBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Texas
    Born under a bad key signature :roflmao::woot::smug: Seriously, thanks to both of you guys for your faithful contributions. Love sight reading your material and has motivated my own attempts at transcription.

ChrisDev, JimK and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Most certainly... Lee did a great job helping me with, 'Only When It's Light', by Jimmy Herring...

... yet another awesome resource! Thanks guys and gals!