1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cream or parchment pickguard for Burgundyglo Ric 4001?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Yesterday I sent WD Pickguards a tracing of the old pickguard on my recently acquired Ric 4001. I'd like something that's going to compliment the yellowed binding and truss rod cover, but the only shades which will come close will be cream and parchment. I wonder if the best way to decide would be to buy both and return the one I don't use (or sell it here).

After doing a search in the archives here, other people's comments about each of those colors seem to confirm how I feel about each, that parchment is still quite white, while cream might be a bit overkill.

I'd prefer to find something in between, or someone who offers a version of aged parchment for Rickenbackers. Seems like Fender guards are the easiest to find, with Musicmans in there too. Not every company offers Ric guards it seems.

If I could find a way to treat the original white guard to yellow it to taste, that would probably be the best (and cheapest) option.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    personally, i stick with the white plexiglas one.

if you really need it to kinda match, IMO a single ply parchment one would look better than cream. you can also dye them with rit dye if you mix a few colors, boil it an pour it onto it completely submerging it on a cookie sheet, but you have to be careful so as to dye it evenly.

BTW, the white plexiglas originals cannot be dyed.

3. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Good idea.

Yeah, I just haven't been vibing on the cream guard. I have a feeling I'd be disappointed. Even the guy on the phone at WD suggested parchment.

4. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Nah, get a clear acrylic guard then mix up some paint to match the trim and then paint the back of it.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed with this.

6. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    i'm betting one of the 3 gold tones offered by Pickguardian would look really good with BG.
    (but i admit i love gold pg's on ricks in general,so i AM biased)

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    "Anodized" gold would look really cool!

8. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    parchment. anything else would look weird. even on the vintage rics, the guards don't really fade. you also gotta watch out where u get the replacement guards from. so places don't quite get it right. i know pickguardian is awesome. allparts not so much.