1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Creased speakers... how bad a sign is it? Looking at used cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonathanD, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I am looking at a used cab locally. It s an Eden D410XLT8 for $300. One speaker is blown(I have a replacement for it) and the others are creased around the edges. By crease I mean a slight folding in the paper cone.

Can anyone tell me how "bad" this is and if this is a sure sign the speakers will fail?

How likely are they to fail/sound bad, is it worth getting the cab if I like the sound of the other 3 speakers as they are?

Jonathan

2. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    r u talking about the usual wave(s), or convolusions that are present on most speaker cones
    these are concentric to the basket flange
    or are these some other kind o crease

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    These are not entirely concentric.

about 2-3 inches long, like a crack in the sidewalk running kinda parallel to the curvature of the speaker. I do not see them in the new Eden speaker.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those mean the speaker has been pushed beyond it's Xmax at least once or twice... Not a very good thing.

5. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    don't do it !!

I bought a eden with some thing like that in all of the speakers (not knowing / Not paying enough attention)
    with in not much time at all they all had to be replaced !

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    :(

Anyone know how much replacement speakers would cost?

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You might be able to get them reconed for a reasonable price.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    cost me $400 to recone my 4

9. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Not worth it. I took my acme 210s and put them next to the eden 410. The eden didn't have anything above and beyond to offer.
    I just wanted it as a practice cab since I live on the second floor and practice in the drummer basement. But it looks like I will just be carrying 1 or 2 210s around.

Jonathan

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually that's not entirely correct. Creasing usually occurs because the cab has received large amounts of input signal at the frequency to which the port is tuned.

For example, if that cab is tuned to 40Hz, if it was fed a 40Hz sine wave, the speaker doesn't move because the port does all the work. As the strength of that 40Hz signal increases, so does the pressure on the speaker cone. eventually the cone can't take any more. When this happens, creasing is the result.

I agree with Bob. Factor in the cost of recones before deciding if this cab is worth is.