Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Creating a musical resume?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been sought out by a band of some repute that has asked me prior to auditioning to submit a resume to them :meh: . Well as embaressing as this is, I have no idea what to submit or what a musical resume consist of :oops: . Is this virtually the same as a "work resume"? If so in the 12 years I've been playing I'm not sure how much "wowing" power some of my previous groups and projects are going to bring about in this case. Can anyone help me out here as to what it consist of and what might be expected?:confused:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, like a work resume...who have you played with and when.

Samples of recordings are nice if you have any.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well most of the previous musical clips I have are of myself in a metal band which is not this groups style at all. What would any of you recommend as far as recording new one's. Should I just press record and play some of my best riff's? That just seems kinda wrong in my mind. Any idea's?:confused: :meh:

4. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Listing bands no one has heard of, same as when writing a band bio and including bands everyone has played in that went nowhere, is a mistake IMO. It's tiresome to read.

I'd suggest being more general, such as "played progressive death metal in local bands for 6 years and in that time recorded 3 albums and gigged 200 times" ... maybe listing known studios or clubs you've recorded/played in.

It's tough if you have no demo relevant to their style, but ... why'd they search you out then? They must already think you can handle it? If you have no relevant recordings of yourself, I guess do something in their style with a drum machine and use that?

Otherwise, try to tell them what you would want to know if you were in their place.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends how much material you've got to work with as to how you present it. If you've played with internationally known artists, you probably don't need to make space for the two appearances with your school jazz band twenty years ago...

How about starting with a big piece of blank paper. Start by scribbling down the things you've done. As patterns start to coalesce play around to see how they help give some shape to your 'history'.

For example, you might distinctly remember how many gigs you did with one of your bands. Once you've made a note of that, you could go back and see if you can estimate how many performances you did with the others - the sum total might be a useful figure to quote, although it's your call as to how many of those are relevant. Instead of raw numbers, you might go in a different direction and highlight the most notable performances instead - this one had an audience of 5000, this one got good reviews round the local area.

The bottom line is that you're trying to demonstrate your experience by what you note on a sheet of paper. Of course, you can probably rest assured that while extensive gigging or recording experience will definitely count in your favour, it's how you can play at the moment and how you relate to the people in the band that will be the strongest factors - the resume is the tie-breaker, not the whole competition.

Wulf

6. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Be general...list how many years you've been playing live gigs,what styles,where...don't include band names unless their known.List your recording and education experience if you have any.Give a short description of what gear you have,and a personal note at the bottom BRIEFLY outlining your professional music goals.DON'T give a sub-par demo or one that's not relatively close to their style,first impressions are crucial.If have a live audition lined up,let that be your demo.If they ask for a demo,be honest and say you don't have anything presently that showcases your strength as a bassist and confidently tell them that you will be able to showcase that at a live audition.
    Good Luck!:cool:

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Here's a more specific question. With a "work" resume, you generally would have the headings Personal Information, Education, Work Experience, Awards/Special Courses, and References (or something similar).

What headings should be included in a musical resume?

I'm thinking Personal Information, Education, Equipment and Musical Experience?

8. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    If I'm sending it to a management co.or an agent I don't put equipment,they don't have a clue nor care about it.I also think it's really important to put a personal"blurb"at the end.Something that outlines your goals,strengths etc.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What about references? Would they be useful in the same context as in a "work" resume?

Also, would a musical resume be a good thing to use when applying for a music-related job (ie, teacher, sound man, etc)?

10. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Sure ref's are great,if they're qualified ones obviously.
    For a teacher,yes it's relevant.
    For a sound man,no...most sound company's don't like to hire musicians,they don't think we're reliable or "pro" sound guys...they call us "muzo's"...

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    How about creating your own website for yourself? I have Road Runner and I can put up a small site for free. I'm in process of putting one together now. It's gonna have pictures of me and my gear and links to all the movie starlets I have dated...yeah...
    Really though, it's time consuming but it can look professional and classy. Also it can give them insight to your personality (if you want too. When talking to them, you can write down your website address and they can check it out themselves.

I'll let you know when mine is done