Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Creating a Precision/Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jul 17, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hiya, im thinking of getting a P or J bass then inserting a J or P pickup into it, however i know nothing about it so i would like to ask a few questions,

Firstly, and mainly, how do you put a Jazz Pickup into a P-Bass or vice-versus?

secondly, is there any obstacle in having both pickups together? (eg, do you have to have them a fair distance apart or something?

and finally, is it easier to add a pickup or is it better paying over £500 to get a P/J bass?

thanks, Canary

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

try lookingin the pickups section, if you dont find anyhting, also try adding this thread in the pickup section.
    i've never changed my pickups before, so i wouldnt know how, i'd say let a professional do it for you, or maybe open it up and figure out where and how u put one in.

3. If the bass is setup for P only, then adding a J pickup to it will involve some woodworking and wiring knowledge. Then you'll have to refinish the area where you routed the body for another pickup.

It would be a pretty involved process.

4. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    sounds cool, how do you move the thread and where would i find a pro?

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Canary,
    It's easy to add a singecoil bridge pickup to a P bass (see the photo of the Mike Lull P4 below). This is very common pickup combo. If you have a Vol/Vol/Tone set-up, you can get the tone of a regular P-bass by rolling the bridge pickup off. However, if you want to add a bit more treble bite (versatility) to your tone, or just want to be able to solo the bridge singlecoil for added tonal flexability, it's all there at the turn of a dial. If you like a vintage P-bass tone but also want to be able to slap on occasion, a singlecoil in the bridge is also a good way to accomplis this. ;)

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    im in the middle of a rebuild doin a J P J set on a old ephiphone bass, ill post some pics soon and can give ya what i can for advice.

7. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    ok, thanks, keep posting

8. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    which is easier, adding jazz pickups to a P-Bass or a Precision pickup to a Jazz bass?

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There are plenty of good PJ basses on the market. If you want to make your own for the challenge, then my hats's off to you!

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think adding a J pickup near the bridge on a P-bass would be easier. I've never tried it, though, so I can't say for sure.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Before Fender and others started making PJ basses, I modded three Jazz basses by adding the P pickup in between the 2 jazz... It was fairly easy - I didn't even have a router, just worked carefully with a chisel - there's just enough space between the jazz pickups to do it. I moved the output to a strat-style jack and used the old jack hole for the tone pot, so it was wired V-V-V-T. I think I stuck a phase swtch on a couple of them too.

You don't have to go through all that though - now I just play these -[​IMG]