1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Creating a vintage finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jul 19, 2007.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Is there anything I can, in a relatively safe way, do to dull out the finish of an SX p-bass? I'd like to make it look 30-ish years old. I also don't want to completely destroy it even though it's a cheap bass.

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    0000ga steel wool and a lot of elbow grease will take the shine right off that sucker. :) But its going to take a lot of work, you will have to do multiple passes, it will make a mess so do it outside(think 1000s of little metal fibers), but it takes it off and leaves it smooth.

Like so :) of course minus the relic treatment

[​IMG]

3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I used a scotchbrite pad to take the glossy sheen off the back of the neck of my SX P and it worked great. Haven't tried it on anything else yet but I'm considering it. I assume it'd work the same way on the body.

And yes, do it outside. You won't end up with the metal fibers like you will with steel wool but you will get tons of white powder finish that you're pulling off the bass.

4. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Scotchbrite is to harsh it will not leave as smooth and mark free as the ultra fine steel wool

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Looks really good. How did you make the deeper wear marks?

6. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

7. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    I have to agree with IbanezCollector. The finest grade steel wool is all you need. That and time. I recently "relic-ed" my Ibanez TR505 and couldn't be happier with the finished product. I was able to take all of the gloss off the finish and it still have a little sheen to it though. As far as the wear marks above PUPs and on the forearm contour and back...the only thing you need really is more time. All you have to do is concentrate on one area and over time the finish will come down to the exposed wood. I also did the same thing to a MIM Jazz V that i had but instead of chosing where to take the finish off i decided to leave only certain areas of the sunbust still intact. It is pretty much the negative image of what you are asking about. 100_0266.
    me20playing.

8. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Here is a little different shot of the body i relic-ed and on of the back of the neck. What i found was that is i did the same thing on the back of the neck i could completly smooth every little dings and notch out of the neck. then with a small ball of TP i dabbed on a small amount of Walnut stain on the neck and then lightly wiped it on simulating tarnished wood. Make sure you wrap both ends of the neck with masking tape as to keep the stain where you want it. 100_0383.
    100_0259.
    this is the neck before i had my way with it.
    HPIM3341.

9. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
  10. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    this is funny to me because this is the same relic tutorial that i used on my basses. small world, ay?

11. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    :)

if ya look on the first or second page of this forum you will see my latest work...

with a few new techniques especially the neck

12. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Very cool man. that jazz will look really good. i am interested as to what you are doing on the neck differently.

13. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    at the moment im going to try offering my services but I will tell you this. It involves no sanding of the neck, I do the technique and then use a clear coat over it to protect it, then I knock down the gloss of the clear coat and then its all done and feels just like the original.

14. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    that sounds awesome man. can't wait to see the finished project

15. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    That PDF is OUTSTANDING. Thanks for whoever put all that together.

16. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    your welcome, glad you enjoyed it :)