Creating Dance Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by damo2576, Sep 20, 2004.

1. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004

Anyone have any tips along the lines of creating bass lines for dance music? Not just simple 4/4 type stuff but the really catchy ones that drive a tune.

Are there any common progressions that are used?

Be good to hear any ideas! Or from anyone who uses their bass to create dance music.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really instructional. You'll get more responses in Misc.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    well you could try checking some of the stuff my band does,

and getting some of the mp3's.

tho i don't think i do a particuarly great job, so i'd have a listen to some live/funky dance stuff/downtempo. perhaps:

london electricity
    roni size
    cinematic orchestra
    breakbeat era
    red snapper (rude double playing)

this is all quite specific stuff but there are some good examples in here...

4. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I think it's important to keep the line simple and repetitive.
  5. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK

and driving as well i think, really pushing forward rather than dragging, that will really kill the intensity/energy that dance strives to get.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One thing that helped me a lot: Listen to dance (funk) music.
  7. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    Agreed - lots of those bands that I listed are quite funky....

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I couldn't funk for beans, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that it's because I didn't listen to funk/didn't know what it was. I still can't define it, but I have a pretty good idea. :)
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would say most 'catchy dance lines' are in 4/4. For whatever reason, people/dancers in the Western world can feel "4" more easily.
    I would suggest some James Brown for study; his stuff can go between the simple/repetitive & with SPACE(Bernard Odum) to the highly syncopated/busy interactive(Bootsy Collins).
    There is a book/cd out there; nice learning tool...almost as good as the Jamerson/Motown book/cds. ;)

You can also pick a couple tunes & break 'em down-
    Chic's "Good Times" & Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust". Very similar grooves...what makes them the same? What makes them different?

Same too for Brick's "Dazz" & King Floyd's "Groove Me".
  10. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    dodge .. your band sounds awesome...I love that 'dodge vs keiretsu'
  11. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan

I'd second all of these suggestions. Si Jon is immense. If you listen to all of these bassists one of the things that they all do well is playing the spaces. Big beautiful wide open spaces either between notes or cycles (I refuse to use the word riff).

Keep it simple, pushing the beat rather than playing after the beat will give it more energy- alternatively, it will make for a kick ass bridge if you suddenly start playing behind the beat-.