Creating my dream Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pster, Jan 16, 2005.

1. pster

Jan 15, 2005
    Hey, I'll get straight down to it, i'm after a bit of help.

I need a new Bass.I have decided to look into making a Bass thats perfect for my style of playing. Unfortunately I have no experience in building a guitar from scratch and have limited knowledge on things like Pick-ups and wood type etc.

My style involves creating my basic bassline and then using hammered on notes in the gaps, usually using my right hand. Ideally I am torn because I want the low parts of my basslines to sound very authentic and vintage but I want the higher, tapped notes to ring through and sound more electronic. Has anybody got any advice about what parts I should be looking at to achieve the best of both worlds. Maybe I need to use a more modern sounding pick-up on my D and G strings and a more vintage one on my E and A? I don't know if thats a viable option or not. Also any advice on any other aspect of building guitars would be greatly appreciated? I just need to know what kind of products to be looking at. There are so many out there and I have a long history of making bad decisions as reguards buying musical equipment.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What are you playing now??

Have you been to music stores and tried out a bunch of different instruments to be sure that there isn't one out there that will work for you??

Were you looking to build one yourself, or have one built for you??
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hmm...I suppose you could take a Bartolini p-pickup and an EMG p, cut them apart, and then use the EMG for the D and G and the Bart for the E and A? ;) :D

In all seriousness, you could have something made with something like EMG CS (ceramic steel?) -- they're warmer than regular EMG's. To offset this for the D and G, you could have the pickups slanted, so that the D and the G side is closer to the bridge, and the E and A side is closer to the neck. A JJ or two soapbar config like this would probably go a long way to help you get the sound you want.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    ill say precision + musicman, thats one of the less popular pick up combos but if you use some vintage p and a MM wounded like the originAL ONE IM SHURE YOULL GET THE TONE YOU WANT, (cant be bothered to re-write <<<<< :D ) for woods ill recomend some swamp ash for body and maple/maple or wenge/wenge for fingerboard and neck (wenge has a darker sound and rises up some low mid frequencies while maple rises up hi mids, but youll hardly hear the difference).

EDIT: i forgot bout the preamp, the aguilar OBP-3 fits most of styles and has top notch quality.
  5. pster

Jan 15, 2005
    I guess I'm looking to assemble the componants myself. I'm not planning on building the body and neck from scratch. At the moment I play an old washburn that has seen better days.
    I have been to music stores but wanted something a bit more tailored to my style of playing. I know that to sell a guitar it has to appeal to the masses so there is limited room for specific criteria. Also I find most shop assistants tend to be bitter, failed, musicians unconcerned with finding the right guitar for you and more concerned with selling you the most expensive instrument in the shop.
  6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Out of curiosity, how many brands and stores have you really tried? Seems like a lot of people have accomplished this through some of the nicer 6, 7 strings out there. I would imagine setup would also have to do a lot with having the hammered and tap notes come out clearly, so try to visit some of the prime bass shops and see if one of THOSE basses appeals to you. Unless you have already tried 6 string Smiths, Benavente's, MTD's, Fodera's, Warrior's and the like.

If one of those actually pulls off what you are looking for, you'd probably have a better idea of what you are looking for.