Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

creating passive option

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drbottom, Mar 7, 2001.

1. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    Does anyone know how to make an active electronics setup with no passive option into one with such an option?

Alternately, is there an easy way to make an active setup permanently passive?

I have a Hamer 12 string bass with emg active pickups that I would like to make passive.

Any thoughts?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There is an easy way to make active electronics passive, just put in a switch between the power source and the elec's.
    Except for active pickups... I am lead to believe that the EMGs are dead unless powered. Eh, ;), there is an easy way to make your bass passive, though :) - :D - get new pups! LOL!

Hrm, eh, sorry... need for change of sense of humor..........

3. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    Suburban--I thought the pups thing was pretty funny.

Thanks for the insight, looks like I may need some new pups

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yeah, but don't rush it! Wait a bit and see, there might be someone around who knows a way around. Electronics is a real jungle....

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont know if it will work for you, but i went to change the battery in my hammer one day, and in a haste i forgot to put it back in and went off to rehersal that night. My emgs still worked without the battery. I would think that not having the battery in there made them passive. So give it a shot, it really cant hurt anything. No battery would serve the same purpose as installing a switch to bypass the power circut to the pups would it not???

6. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    I tried not using the battery, but the pups do not work without it.

I think these pups need juice...

7. I think that you're stuck with active with those pickups- the actual coils in EMG's are low impedance and low output, so they need the internal preamp in the pickup shell to work properly.

.....thinking more about it, the Epiphone JC signature bass has a low impedance low output pickup, but has an impedance matching transformer that allows the bass to drive an amp without the need for a preamp- BUT fitting something like this would be very complex (and you'd have to crack open the epoxy potted EMG's) so it's not worth the effort.

so, new pickups or live with having to change batteries IMHO!

8. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    I think I am stuck, too, unless I drop in some different pickups.

Anyone know of bar-type passive pickups that have decent high end response?

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    While you're on this topic, I've been thinking about adding a passive option to my Stingray 5. Does anyone know if this is feasable, or of any existing replacement pickups/preamps that would support this mod?

10. I think the stingray pickup is high impedance, and has a high enough output to be used passive- the Lakland J+MM basses have a passive option, and the Seymour Duncan Musicman replacement pickup www.basslines.com has been used passive in quite a few basses (Schecter Baron, Ampeg short scale etc.), so I assume the original Musicman P/up can be used passive too.

you could keep the original circuit and wire in a DPDT switch between the three way coil select switch and the active circuit, to bypass the circuit and send the signal straight to the output jack BUT I think Musicman fit the pots and output socket direct to the circuit board, which makes modification difficult.

otherwise, I think Bartolini active circuits (as used by Lakland) offer a passive option.www.bartolini.net