creating rhythms

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pesticle, Jun 3, 2002.

1. when you are creating rhythms... and you dont have anything in your head. how do you go about it?

what are some wierd ways you have come up with to make up basslines

i've found that sometimes just doing patterns with your fingers then running it through progressions works rather well
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I see it in my HEAD man....... lights tranforming into sound and rythem....... man,i need to quit these pills.
  3. what are some other ways that you guys get new rhythms
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Play with scales. Play every second note, every semi-tone or whatever. Play a riff backwards. So "Enter Sandman by Metallica goes:

Play it,

Most of my lines come from me trying to learn a really hard song, and stuffing it up and memorising the mistake that i made. :D
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez...there's a million ways(probably). ;)

To be basic, I'll keep this in 4/4 time-
    I'm assuming you know quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenths, etc.

So, one bar of 4-

The "numbers" = the beats, the "-" represent their respective 1/16th notes.
    Now consider shifting the beats, either to the "left" or "right" of that timeline-
    In this case-
    I kept the "1"
    I shifted "2" to the "e of 2"
    I shifted "3" to the "& of 3"
    I shifted "4" to the "a of 4".

If it helps, write it out on paper & then attempt to play it. My goal is to get this in my head & then to my fingers in the course of improvising/'jamming'.

You can also add/subtract notes...depends if you want a 'busy' line or one with more 'space'.
    Busy line-

More space-

On & on...
    Bear in mind, this is only ONE bar & in 4/4.
    More later if I didn't already confuze you...
  6. I have Reason installed on my computer. And I like to use the REDRUM machine in there to create a pattern in anything but 4/4 , I'm fond of 7/8 myself but I 'll go like 5/4, 9/16,etc. once I catch the groove the musical side takes over and I come up with all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have thought of in a standard timing some keepers, some not.:D :rolleyes:
  7. i just tried a few lines backwards.. its kind of interesting when you do some kinda of complicated rhythms.... it sparked me ito something really nice that was based on a line backwards
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't know man, maybe we can all be replaced by these computers that can make up rythems better......NAH, It's all about your brain man, Anyone can find a rythem, finding one thats yours, how ever, takes your imagenation.
  9. the forum is about creating rhythms and wierd ways to do so.. if you ahve it in your head.... its already created :D
  10. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Well, this is usually something that just hear inside my mind, then play it... but sometimes, I think of it as a double - bass rhythm (particularly, the fine work of Mike Portnoy).
  11. I just jump around and scream in the shower, I usually get some inspiration from that and later on I'll transfer it to my bass.
  12. SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    I have some bongos that I sometimes use to come up with interesting rhythms.
  13. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    i got some tam tams to help my bass playing. Drumming helps me alot, use basic patterns, and outline them, accent them, anything. youll find yourself with some funky stuff coming out.

Ever since i went fretless, i find myself focusing on the rhythm more, the energy tranfersin through the notes without those metal bars, helps creative ideas flow. you'll just feel it when you gotta change..

14. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I just start hitting the strings randomly, and whip crack with his schwuppy tail, a rythem is begat. Nothing more than that, whether its drumming on our computer desk or improvising on bass, I just start playing something with a rythem Ive unconciously come up with.