Creating Songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wutangkillaflea, Jul 10, 2001.

1. wutangkillaflea

Jul 10, 2001
    I am in a punk/rock band and we are just beginning to create our own songs in hopes to put together a decent compilation. So far we have some decent ones but they have all been written by the guitarist in our band. I was wondering if the bassist can be effective in creating a tune for a band. If so, how should I go about making a song? I have made some already, but they just don't sound awesome!
  2. I'm sorry, you can't really tell someone how to write a song...Just keep tryin
  3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    A bassist can write music. I do. However, I can't really give any advice to you about writing songs. Anyone who does should be promptly smacked because song writing is not something to be learned as if you were in school. But here are some things I've found helpful in my songwriting journey:

your first few songs won't always be great. And besides that, some of my favorite song writers say that their songs suck, so you should play them for your bandmates and maybe friends and get a few friendly opinions. Write something-a bassline, some lyrics, an idea for a songs sound or subject, anything at all-every morning. You don't have to fit it in any sort of format. Just something. I began writing sayings one morning(a bit like Fortune Cookies) and a week later I read over them and one was catchy so I worked with it, and it became my favorite song that I've writen. Also, try working with others. It can stir up the "creative juices." I wrote my first song with the band I was in at that time.
  4. FoolFighter, I agree and disagree with you. I agree that you cannot be taught how to be a songwriter. However, I don't think you should ever jot down a subject to write a song about. That way you just get stuck trying to write words about a subject, and most of the time (in my experiences), that doesn't work. I just think if you get a catchy line, write that down, and if you can't expand on it right then, then leave it. I wrote a 2 page song in 20 minutes just cuz it all kept coming to me. There is no right or wrong way to write lyrics or music, it's all a matter of personal preference, and that just happens to be mine.
  5. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Good point, BassGuy. A song almost never sounds good to anyone if it is forced or not natural. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to write a song a certain way or about a certain thing. Great songwriters usually let the songs flow, but for a beginner, you have to get the process down and you sometimes really have to focus. Songs rarely just come to you. Sometimes you have to do a bit of work. Notin wrong wid dat.