1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Creative Jazz Improvisation: Scott Reeves

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Violen, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
  2. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    Yeah dude this book really help alot. I am taking a class right now with Dave Lalama (awesome piano player the teaches at MSM and Hofstra and is Ralph Lalama's brother if you guys know the tenor sax player that plays at the vanguard alot) but the book is great I recommend to earn all the licks in all 12 keys and all or alot of the transcribed solos in there to. It a really good book if used right.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Indeed. Great book. I kind of pick and choose from that book and Mark Levine's book for teaching material.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Just ordered it. I went to IU with Scott, a fine musician.

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I played often with Scott when he lived in Maine; we were in a bunch of bands ranging from a big band to an all-"originals" quintet. He was a good pal. He's on both my records.

Scott is one of those people who, simply by being himself, reminds me that I could be a decent person if I would only let it happen.

FWIW his wife Janet Reeves is a genuine quadruple-threat musician. She's a very fine jazz pianist and at least as skilled & musical as a jazz vocalist. Her Masters is in classical voice, and she holds the piano chair in the Portland Symphony Orchestra.

Punch line: Any Reeves product is well worth the time and effort.

6. may be a silly question( as a self taught bassist ), is the book in bass clef?

7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Your Mom is in the bass clef.

Fourth edition is. The solo transcriptions are but the main examples are in treble in the third Edition.

8. Well in that case im in and since you mentioned my mom im ordering the 3rd and a haaalf edition. tr(ou)eble clef ... shmebble clef.