Creative Vehicle Packing Ideas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Jan 11, 2006.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    The band I'm in is going to try to start touring some this year and I have a problem. Here is our setup:

Traveling Light
    4 Guys (6 ft tall or better)
    1 Mandolin
    1 banjo
    1 or 2 guitars
    1 Upright bass
    3 Mic Stands
    3 mics in two road cases.
    Sleeping Bags, each
    Small bag for clothes, each

Traveling Heavy
    All of the above, plus:
    2 12" speakers (soon to be upgraded, so they may get larger)
    1 6 rack space box
    1 Mixing Board in a case
    2 Speaker Stands

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and when we travel light, it all fits with no problem. No room for much more, but you get the idea. Locally, when we travel heavy, we take 2 cars and it's fine. When we start touring, 2 cars is going to cost us a lot of money and be a lot less convenient. The last few times we've done it, we've borrowed a trailer, which worked well (decreased my gas mileage to 14 miles to the gallon, but whatever).

The trailer is hard to borrow regularly, so I'm looking for some creative water tight and lockable external storage options. I've got nice roof racks and a nice trailer hitch, so I can make use of those, but I don't want things getting stolen. I don't want to buy a trailer, basically because it's huge investment and a lot of extra maintenance and trouble.

Anyone have any good ideas that you've seen or used before? I'm not sure if I have a price range yet, just looking for some ideas (definitely less than a trailer).

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
  2. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I have no experience touring, but since you have a decent rack on your car try looking into Yakima and Thule as far as car rack accessories.

You could always rent a trailer from UHAUL or whoever...
  3. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    Get a bigger car? This was my main concern when I was looking for a car last year. I was in the market for something that could haul a good amount of large items (I have a full stack so I need every cubic foot I can get). Ideally I wanted an old Chevy Suburban but I settled for a Dodge RamCharger.

If this is a serious band then get together and talk about getting a band vehicle. You can get pretty big vans and such at police auctions. Or you could all go in on a used trailer?

Just a couple ideas.

4. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yea, going in together on a trailer is a possibility. We've been gigging maybe 40 shows are year for the last year. It's a pretty good, serious band. I happen to have a better job than the rest of the guys, so some of the money needs end up falling on me. I'm also more anal retentive, so I'm more likely to figure it out at the least total cost. We'll do what we need to, I'd just like to keep it simple. We're only a bluegrass band, so we don't have THAT much stuff:)
  5. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    A side note on a trailer. Not only is it a means of transportation, it's also a rolling billboard. Very good way to get your name seen.
  6. You've got plenty of room in your SUV. It'll just be a little cozy.
  7. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yea, you'd think. Not so however... Just need a little more.
  8. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    If it's just a matter of a few cubic feet, then I'd go with a hard shell cargo holder for the roof. Squish all your sleeping bags and such in it.
  9. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    DO NOT PUT THE FACT YOU HAVE MUSICAL GEAR IN THE TRAILER OUT THERE.Over the years i have seen bands trailer's get broken into on the road several times and it is not a pleasant sight,be discrete as possible
  10. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005