1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Creative ways to stack a large head on a small cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I've come to the realization that I love big tube heads. However, I hate hauling a heavy large cab. I love my Genzler MG212T, and I don't see it going anywhere.

With that being said, it's only 18" wide, and most big tube amp heads are 24"-30" wide. The rubber feet on the bottom of the head wouldn't even rest on top of the cabinet, and I'm worried the vibrations could damage the tubes.

What are some ways you all stack a big head on a little cab? Or just set it beside the cab?

Chickenwheels likes this.
  2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Perhaps there's a compact, folding stand that would straddle your cab and hold the head?

If there's room on stage, the stand and amp could also sit beside the cab or -- if not detrimental acoustically -- in front of it.

If the amp balances securely enough atop the cab and vibration is the only worry, perhaps some sort of isolating pad between amp and cab would suffice.

3. Cab can sometimes go on top of amp.

4. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The head I am looking at has exhaust vents on top, so that wouldn't work for me unfortunately.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Pics...

Wisebass and Chickenwheels like this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Put it on a box beside the cab.

Lammchop93 likes this.
  7. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Screenshot_20191008-205248_Reverb.

8. Can also put a batten over each side of the amp for the cab to sit on. Plenty of room for hot air to flow out between and bonus for taking the weight of the cab to the sides of the amp case, the better to not put a bow in the case top.

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  9. You could probably find a small stool that would straddle that amp. Or make one.

chupacerveza and Iristone like this.
  10. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I always set my head to the side of the cab. May not work in your situation:

449C6B70-D139-4502-8E3F-9D4B9DBD1714.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I've been looking at the smallest/lightest cabs and how tall they are. See if I can lay them on the side to hold my Sunn 2000s, 30" wide. Maybe I'll buy two cabs that tall. Put some rubber feet on the floor side.

I have stood the 2000 upright on its small side before. I mean the amps 65lbs so you can't really knock it over that easily.

Or maybe an amp stand tall enough/wide enough so the cab fits underneath. Something like that.

Chickenwheels and Lammchop93 like this.
  12. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Two small cabs side by side, head on both?

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    You dont have to get too creative.

you just use a 1x15 like a SVT15E they make them 24 to 25" wide. Tube head goes right on there.
    its essentially the proper 2x15 cut in half.

Ampeg got it with the 212AV as well. Designed for a V4B and many others that fit right on it 24"
    anything that is to skinny is out. unless you lay it on its side

as far as a lightweight form factor a 1x15 or 2x12 with correct dimensions is the superior method of getting most bang per buck.

Ampeg has it covered. or you get a custom cab made
    SVT-15Ebogeybass.

Ampeg212AVBogeybass.

Border, Wisebass, Stumbo and 2 others like this.
  14. Shelf since added to save amp case

15. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    I have the same head and 2 2x10 Ashdown Cab's. I slid the rubber feet in to fit the cab footprint. They are just held in with wood screws.

City, funkinbottom, dBChad and 3 others like this.
  16. HagenToke

HagenToke

Jul 11, 2019
    PNW
    I don't think I would do that with a tube
    Nice. I don't think I would put a cab on any tube amp. In your position I would set it to the side. If the feet will straddle the cab. Cut out a piece of high density foam to the size of the top of the cab. Then place the head on top. If the feet don't allow the head to sit flat on its bottom. Personally I would but out a piece of wood the size of the bottom of the head. Place that on the cab with the head on top.

chupacerveza and Lammchop93 like this.
  17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You know, when I started playing bass back in 1965, the Fender Bassman was the go-to bass cab. It was designed to be used with the cab in a horizontal configuration with lean-back legs on the ends and the head was securely attached with slide out hooks on the head and beefy screws on the cab. Well... virtually no one used them that way. Instead they stood them on end and they basically looked like a big "T" because the head hung out over the sides. In 1966, Fender came out with a larger cab that was supposed to be stood on end without the head hanging over the sides, and that's what I bought in 1966.

Well, I ran into the same problem with a couple of small Eden EX112-4's that I bought. Originally bought just one so I got it in 4 ohm to get the most out of the amp I was going to use. Sounded so good I bought a second one and I've used the two of them quite a bit for medium venues that don't have long rooms. Only drawback is that since they are both 4 ohm cabs and I don't have an amp capable of a 2 ohm load, I have to bring my big amp (WT500/800) in its rack and plug one into each power channel.

These are really compact 112 cabs because they use whizzer cones (small cone within a large cone) instead of a separate tweeter horn. They are 16" tall x 15¼" wide x 14¾" deep - pretty small footprint. The amp I have to use with them measures 21" across in its rack. So, I bring along a milk crate to keep them off the floor; turn the cabs on their side; and put my amp on top of that with the edges hanging over. Looks an awful lot like the T-shape of a 1965 or earlier Bassman. Even if I didn't have my amp in a rack, it would still hang over the head. It works just fine and it sounds great!

If you're worried about shaking tubes up too much, get a nice piece of wood to put on top of your cabs (with or without an isolation pad) and put your amp on top of the wooden shelf. That way it's resting on its rubber feet and not on the chassis of the amp itself. Might have to spend$10 to $20 for the wood and some Watco Oil finish to make it look good...or just spray paint it flat black. That'll work just fine too.

Here's a pic of my T-shaped Eden rig.

2x112Rig_525x700.

18. I think OP was all about not having an overhang.

19. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    With the popularity of 1x12 and smaller cabinets, this seems to be a recurring theme.
    Someone needs to invent a universal "amp trolley" a la Vox Super-Beatle.
    Something kinda like this:

1963_Vox_AC30_Vintage_Tube_Amp_Copper_Top_JMI_with_Cab_Celestion_Blues_Trolley_01_wza.

I know, I know ... that's not a Super-Beatle but you get the idea.

20. Yep. My 26” wide Fender Studio Bass head sits happily on its end next to the cab like this often, no dramas.

Groove Doctor likes this.