Creative Zen V ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has one of these MP3 players?

Thinking about getting one of these for the missus for xmas, have read a few reviews of it on the net and the general consensous was that its a good MP3 player, and fairly solid for its size.

But i like asking on here, can trust the low end bretheren more :bassist:

Cheers

- Will

2. Matt_W

Matt_W Guest

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I think my mate has one as his jogging mp3 player, he seems to like it, but he did mention that it will only charge through a PC or something along those lines. If you missus has constant access to a PC, I shouldn't imagine it would be a problem.

Also, creative PWN Apple's offerings in my eyes.

3. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Great mp3 player.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You can always buy a power adapter in addition to the usb charger. It's a great player.

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I have one and really like it, and bought a pink one for my wife.

It does need to be hooked up to a computer to charge. You can't use a regular mini-usb charger (like for a cell phone) to charge it; you need to take apart the end and solder a jumper to make it work (or buy a dedicated wall/car charger for about $22).

It plays videos. Supposedly, you need to install special software to add/manage songs, but I'm not sure about this because I've plugged it in occasionally and had access to it like it was a separate hard drive... but the software almost always picks it up. Even if you think you don't want the software, install it. It's very powerful and makes setting up songlists and organizing your music easy. I have songlists on mine like Break1, Break2, Break3, etc. so that I have bar-patron-friendly music ready to go for gigs.

My favorite part, and probably the reason I bought it, was that you can line-in record with it. We can plug in from the back of the mixing board and record our gigs. It even senses breaks in the music and divides them into different tracks. So, outside of the gig environment, if your buddy has a CD you want to rip to your mp3 player, you can connect your mp3 player to his headphones out and let it play. The player will save all of the tracks separately.

Mine was from walmart, and about $70 or so.

ETA: Almost forgot. Don't freak out if it freezes up. Mine has done it once, and so has my wife's. Just use a paperclip to reset it, you won't lose songs or anything. 30 seconds later and it's ready to go.

6. I had one of those but to be honest I didn't like it. The battery life was terrible. After a while the volume stopped working.

15944.png

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

8. ROON

ROON Guest

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get a Creative Zen Vision:m instead. I LOVE mine.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i have a creative zen vision:m. really like it, though i'm no expert on mp3/video players. got it for $150 at some surplus store, too.

10. hmm.. I've decided that cd players are still better, but they break about once a year and it's getting harder to get new ones... man, that recording thing sounds really nice and useful. Does the vision:m have that too? I'd need at least 30 gigs for all my music.

11. Thanks for all the replies guys!

And thanks for pointing out about the charger, i hadnt noticed that! But she charges her phone through her laptop, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

The battery life, while it isnt terrific, should more than do :)

Thats £320 here (~$640), i love her to bits, but i cant afford that! Its over 3 times the price of the V

I dont like portable CD players for a few reasons:
    1) They jump alot, even the ones with antishock can jump.
    2) They tend to scratch up your CDs
    3) They are bulky, and you tend not to be able to have as much selection for obvious reasons.

I wish mini disc players had hit off more, i loved mine, great quality, could get tons on a mini disc, could record, was a small form factor, and they didnt skip :)