Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Creativity: Band Name

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bluemonk, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    We're just starting up a band and for some reason we've gotten stuck on deciding a name. We play all 60's rocknroll, like Steppenwolf, Santana, Dave Clarke 5, Beatles, Canned Heat, etc. We have a guy with a British accent on lead vocal, a lead guitarist, bass and keyboard (looking for a drummer). We'd like a name that is fun or creative but not too goofy. We are all left of center and want to include political songs like "Eve of Destruction" and "For What It's Worth" Can you think of something??

2. bassmcgee

bassmcgee

Sep 8, 2004
    Safety First and the Green Pea's

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Maybe you can form your band's name based on a cool story that happened to you guys or something. That way it's something special and you'll have a story to tell about it, rather than 'some stranger on a message board came up with our name.'

My old band was called In One Day because we were basically formed in one day (and there's a whole big mess of a story behind why as well, but this is not my thread to tell stories.)

311 got their name because the guys got arrested for skinny dipping in a public pool and 311 is the police code for indecent exposure.

And names like those don't hold to any musical boundaries like a name such as "carcass eaters" would.

I always thought "Organon" would be a cool band name. On dictionary.com it's defined as A set of principles for use in scientific or philosophical investigation. I discovered the word when listening to the band Psycroptic. One of their songs is called "Battling the Misery of Organon" and I wanted to know what the word meant.

4. Well, the easiest way is to, you know, just have a really cool last name and use that. You know like Van Halen, or Dokken, or to a lesser extent Z'Nuff.

The other way is to take a really cool word but then spell it all wrong. You know like... "LAZOR", or "BIGG NIFE", or something like "TARANCHULA" or maybe like "LIMOZEEN". You know, these are all great names, and you know, go ahead and take them. I'm not going to charge you or nothing. Just, uh, put me on the guest list plus one for that show huh?

- Dave

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Off to Miscellaneous.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Godless hippies"

7. Whirled Peas

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    rofl!

9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Passion of the Crab Cakes

Thats probably too goofy though.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you could combine some of the band names you listed:

Canned Beatles
    Wolf Heat
    Eve of Dave Clark
    Heat 5 Dave

actually, those all suck, but something that references what you play could be cool.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Steppenana?

12. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    These are great!! I like the mixing and the misspelling. It's got me thinking. Thanks.
    Any more?

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want to go all political, but still have a sense of humor about it, you should call it Tin Foil Hat.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Bits and Pieces
    Hands Up!
    Killer Quicker.

15. Ah, Strongbad. :)

16. I have a couple of suggestions. My band knocked these back, probably because they are crap, whatever. You can have them :)

White Bicycle
    Red Fence
    Two Steps Forward
    Predecessor

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm not so sure about the misspelling thing. Back in the old days it looked cool (i.e. Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard) but nowadays, it's overdone to the point where it looks rather stupid- like the bands are illiterate morons (i.e. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Trapt). And there are some rather good metal bands with misspelled names (i.e. Kataklysm) but as good as that band is, their name, IMO, just doesn't look cool.

Just playing Devil's Advocate...

18. Knit Delicate and the Large Load.

I like washing machines, an endless source of inspiration.

19. Stuff McCocken and the Banana Hammocks.

Anything with (some metal) and (some animal) just screams '60's RnR.

Tin Lobsters (erm...no)
    Steel Coyotes
    Copper Snakes
    Brass Dragons
    :bassist:

20. Blue Monk Group.

Think about it, you can wear monk robes, paint your faces bright blue, and rock out....

never been done before.