Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

creativity in bass lines in a song

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by KPerison, Nov 30, 2002.

1. KPerison

KPerison

Nov 28, 2002
    Hi, I need a bit of advise here.
    When I play at my church (bass)
    I just layout the beat for the song...
    but some songs need a bit more than a
    beat. I really want to be creative and create
    some nices bass lines but just don't have the
    creativity. I know where every note is and
    every scale and arrpegio*

Does anyone have any advice on creating
    nice bass lines to kick a few songs up:D

Thanks.

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think a big part of making creative basslines is realizing that the notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do play. Don't always try to play on all the 8th beat, or all the 16th beat, or a simple combination. Add some variation. Also don't always go for the root notes. Depening on the song, look for other notes and such that sound good.

3. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Being able to improvise takes practice. I think you're on the right track by learning the scales and arppegios. If you aren't already familiar with modes this is important as well. Maybe you could find a play along cd of some sort. And just try to come up with lines that work. I have a book that I'm starting to work with called Building walking bass lines by Ed Friedland and you can play along with the tracks and use the appropriate notes to come up with bass lines. Drum machines can also be inspiring.

It may sound corny but the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. So even if what you're coming up with now isn't going to set the new standard for bass playing it will improve with time. So keep after it.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Do you listen to alot of different types of music?

If not, listen to a very broad style of music. this will help open up your mind to new ideas.

Feel the beat, listen and feel what the drummers doing and get into the zone and ideas will just start pouring out of you.

Also take the music you're supposed to be doing for church home and try to work on lines in your spare time.