Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

credability for audibility

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobaweeka, Sep 2, 2001.

1. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Has anybody else noticed that some people think a bassplayer is good because he is more audible than what they are used to? I find some of the most brilliant basslines are the ones you have to listen carefully for. Whenever the untrained ear hear a solo part that just consists of bass, they tend to think that that bassplayer is excellent even if the solo is just root notes that are not accompanied by guitar done by a mediocre bassist. This is just a little thing I noticed with friends and family. I'm sure some peoples opinions would be otherwise.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I think that comes from a theory my friend had. He proposed that if you hear the bassist, then he's good enough to be pushed to the front, ala Flea and Claypool.

I think that crap, but apparently, when I asked a couple of friends, they said more or less the same thing. I found that volume=ability/talent/ect in a wide cross section of friends. (well, all the ones that were at school that day:)). Now, personally, I agree with you that, indeed, some of the best are the ones you have to listen for. (However, there are plenty that just present themselves e.g. Ryan Martinie)

I do find that rather odd, but, hey, what can you do?:)

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    A lot of non-musicians don't actually consciously hear the bassline when they listen to a song - a good bassline is well integrated into a song, and becomes part of the song. Of course, there are some basslines that are so distinct that they form the majority of the song (eg. any Bootsy basslines).

Because most people are not accustomed to listening to the bass, when they do hear it, they assume that the bassist must be good. This is particularly true when a bassist does a bass solo - as most people are not accustomed to bass solos, when they hear one, even though it may be relatively simple, they are impressed by it.

This is just my theory...

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Its so strange how true that seems to be. My friends are exactly like that. Theyd hear a song and say "Dude this bassist rocks" and I listen to it and its just roots notes that are very audible. I met this girl who had just started playing bass and she was the exact same. Shed have me listen to songs with audible bass lines that werent anything special, mainly root notes.

5. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    One of my guitar player friends (you can imagine how closed minded he is to bass playing) always tries to get me to listen to these songs that he says contain a "bass solo". In all actuality every song he's ever had me listen to just contains a part where all the guitars fade out and it's just the drums and the bass playing what they have been the whole song. He's all like "Man that bass player is awesome!" I just grin and try to find an exit.
    I can't seem to get it through to any of my friends that most bass players in the music they listen to aren't all that special. I've actually had one friend tell me that silverchair's bass player was the "best the earth's ever seen". Now I'm not knocking Silverchair's bass player 'cuz he's alot more famous than me, but there's alot better out there.I guess some people are just beyond help. :oops: