1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Credit Card burning hole in "POCKET": Alembic F-1X or Fender TPB-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistms, Jun 30, 2007.

1. bassistms

bassistms

Jun 14, 2007
    The Alembic is about $100 more, is it worth it ?

The Fender has a Jensen DI transformer, what does the Alembic have for a DI, a Jensen ?

I can't find very much on specs/details for the Alembic on the net.

Any TBers have both, any comparison comments ? :help:

2. On basstasters, the fender accually sounded a little better to me.. but then ymmv.

Randy

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the F2B Alembic and I can't say enough good things about it. I really love that pre and im sure you would too. It has more of the vintage bassman vibe to it. Yet I would not call it vintage sounding just similar to it.

4. Both units are passive tone stacks (cut only). This was the primary reason I sold my F1X.

5. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    the Alembic is built like a brick s#$t house.. indestructible.. i too have a 70s F2B... the sound is timeless... I had both the F1X and the F2B at the same time.. the F1X has nice features that the F2B does not have.. but the F2B has more tube vibe and is gooeyer.. I sold the F1X and still have the F2B.. its 30 years old now and still going...great piece of gear.. i have zero experience with the Fender Pre.
    but i have always felt that if you cant get the sound you are after with that simple B-M-T then you should change basses or speaker cabs before you dig a huge EQ whole that never seems to work.
    i say alembic pre.. its built to take a lickin'

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

FWIW, there will be a nice Kern IP-777 for sale in the classifieds in the next few days . . .

The Alembic is very nice, too.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sold my F2B and snagged a BMaxT. You should add that one to your list. When BBE designed that one they were clearly shooting at Alembic. Given that BBE designed that pre about 25 years after Alembic designed their's - it's no wonder they surpassed it. You should seriously give one a listen.

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned both at the same time and still have the F1-X. In fact, that is my Alembic and Fender on basstasters.

The Alembic F1-X has been my gold standard for 10 years now, for comparing pres. Many sound worse, many sound different, some sound better. But in the end I find myself going right back to the simplicity of the F1-X. Pure, smooth, creamy buttah and extended low end response. It also responds very well to tube rolling.

The Fender can get very close to doing the Alembic sound, but it takes some work. Fender really nailed the old school Bassman and Showman sound. But I didn't find the Fender to be an easy plug-and-play pre - you really have to tweak to get your tone. But as Vanselus commented, "Man, there are a LOT of tones in that box..."

9. The F1-X has a sound that starts out good and then grows on you. After you play one for a while you'll really love the tone. And then you'll play something else that you think sounds better and switch to it. But the longer you play the newer one the less you'll like it and end up back with the F1-X. That has been my experience.

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Don't buy gear on credit, you're only making money for somebody else :)

Go for the Alembic

11. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The F-1X has a transformer coupled XLR output.

12. bassistms

bassistms

Jun 14, 2007
  13. bassistms

bassistms

Jun 14, 2007
    I am pretty much convinced on going for the Alembic, I have wanted one for about 15 years, just based on what I have heard about it.

The Fender has too may things that I probably would never use.

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    You won't regret the basic tone.

Too often there are points made about the lack of EQ flexibility, and frankly if you need that much EQ in a rack set setup, get a 1U EQ unit of choice or get the SF2 as well. I have two racks based around an F-1X each and I have a parametric EQ in each; which I use now and again for this or that peculiar bass, or this or that peculiar room. Most of the time, I bypass the parametric EQ, and run the F-1X flat.

The DI is transformer coupled so it doesn't really suffer from phantom power if you run to a board that has universal phantom power.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021