Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Credit Card with Useful (Music Related) Rewards?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking to get a 2nd credit card, something with music related rewards preferably, nothing too steep an interest rate either and definately no annual fee.

What credit cards do you guys have?

2. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Bump. I have the same question.

3. bump, me too

4. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    American Express places a small pecentage of your purchases into a high interest savings acount. That isn'tmuch but it can add up if you are keeping the card for a long time. Credit cards are rarely the best way to do anything except build/re-establish credit and buy something that you don't have the money for. What exactly are you trying to do? I'd recommend joining a credit union and speaking with one of their investment bankers.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking to establish credit. Nothing major, just use my credit card instead of debit for stuff I need then pay it off immediately. I'm new to establishing my credit, and with the exception of my one credit card, I've got nothing. I've been paying that one off immediately.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'd recommend you speak with a banker. buying something with a credit card and then paying it off doesn't do much for your credit. Being able to show a history of making payments on time does. You are better off making a purchase and then taking your time making payments, but you don't want to make the minimum paymentbecuse you will end up paying much much more for the purchase. One thing that you could do is use your card to buy things that you were going to purchase anyway, (gas, pay rent, electric bill, groceries....etc). read up here http://www.suzeorman.com/
    One thing I can deffinately say I know what I am talking about is "store credit cards" such as guitar center cards, radio shack cards....etc. DO NOT even apply for these. Their APR is normally 21% or more. Money is out there and people will lend it to you just be smart, have a goal, have a plan and research. Credit Unions often have better rates but you need to talk with financial counselors, investment bankers...etc to meet your goals

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I know these aren't going to do a LOT for my credit. That's not what I'm asking, not asking for financial advice, I want to know what cards you guys are using. I don't have much of a financial base right now to invest, I'm not looking to make money, I'm looking to put regular spending on credit cards, and pay them off on time to establish a history of this. I have one card that I've paid off over $1700 on time, if not early. Never a late payment, no problems here. Looking to do this with a second card, I'm looking for something with rewards that may eventually come in handy for me.

Any input to this question?

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    one way to establish a little credit is to take out a small personel loan from your bank. Open up a 2nd savings account and deposit the loan. Set up an allotment so that the bank withdras your payments firectly from that account on a monthly basis. DOn't touch the money, forget it's there. The only thing it will cost you is the intrest which will be very little.

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    credit cards are definately evil because it's so easy to abuse them. It's still a good idea to talk with a credit union and discuss benefits and services that they offer.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Larry, I wish I was kidding when I said I can't even afford interest.

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    OK dude, just get a cash advance on the remaining balance of your credit card, meet me in Vegas. We'll get some booze, coke, hookers play some bass and then the Italians will take us to the desert never to be heard from again