Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

creep found inside ash wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tommy Gunz, Aug 24, 2003.

1. I'm not even sure if that's what it's called, I just remember the term fomr my Material class back in engineering school. Basically, I'm talking about an internal crack inside the wood that you won't see until a cut is made at that location. Anyway, is it a common problem? As I'm making the body of my bass there's a crack at the edge of the body - looks a lot like someone accientally nick it with a rotary saw, but I know for sure that I didn't do anything to cause that crack. And as my brother also pointed out, it seems to grow a fair bit after about a week. What do I do? Just fill it with wood filler? Will it continue to grow until (or even after) I put on the final finishing seal?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Depends on what the cause of the check is. Sometimes these things are called "shakes", and they are usually due to internal stresses being released after.

If it's getting bigger, I'd be worried. If this is a prototype or a test piece, then seal it as well as you can with CA glue and go on. If you want this to be the end-all of homebuilt basses or if you have something riding on it, then scrap the body and start over with a fresh piece of wood.

3. I see.

I think I'll glue it and keep going, see what'll happen. Thanks.