Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cremona basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by andy_cooper, Jan 27, 2005.

1. andy_cooper

andy_cooper

Jan 27, 2005
    Denton, Texas
    Hi - just joined as a new user, and a new upright bass owner. I am very happy so far with a Cremona bass. I understand that these Chinese plywood basses are getting noticed in the bass world for a good price/performance ratio. I could not agree more, as my used one (with gig bag, french bow, and a new set of Spirocore strings set me back only $300.00!

I am wanting to find a nice pickup to use this bass with my 50w Crate amp as a monitor, and feed the output to the house pa. I'm thinking either a Fishman BP-100, or a K&K Bass Max - as far as preamp, I am thinking the K&K Pure Preamp (with 3 EQ knobs vs. only 2) might be a good product for the money. This bass is going to be used mainly with a Bluegrass band, and some in a dixieland band.

I hope to hear from some experienced players that know a good sound, but live within a tight budget on equipment.

2. Hi Andy...welcome to TB

I'm using the Bass Max on my hybrid Chris, but I'm just using the standard K&K preamp. I set up much as you envision, though my on stage monitor is a Peavy Combo 300. I currently play for 2 traditional bluegrass groups up here on the Northern Prairies.

I have no complaints with my set up, and think what you're planning should work out well, and you can't beat the price on the K&K. I do run into the occasional house system that seems to be overloaded by the preamp, but its usually discovered during sound check, and then I just run the pickup directly, and we can usually get the sound right. There's a lot of Yorkville boards being used in Canada, and these have been the most troublesome, while others (particularly Yamaha boards) will sound unbelievable.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Keep in mind that if a pickup sounds good on one bass, it is not always what will sound good on another. You might want to talk to other players who have the same model bass.

4. andy_cooper

andy_cooper

Jan 27, 2005
    Denton, Texas
    I bought the K&K pickup, but the music store did not stock the preamp. I thought the thing would not work, but to my surprise, it's plenty hot enough without the preamp. I am sure the EQ settings on the preamp would make things really convienent, but once set on the amplifier, I don't need to make changes. So - for a total of 375.00 I have a bass, bow, gig bag, new Spirocore strings, and a pickup. The 50 watt Crate amp has been around for a long while, and I bought it used for 75.00. You can do things on a tight budget if you keep looking around.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What bass world are you living in? My experience has been quite the opposite. There ARE Chinese basses out there (most predominantly Shen, Christopher, Wan-Bernadel) that are well constructed and sound good, but the whole Cremona/Palantino/Sunrise etc. tend to get poor reviews from players and luthiers in terms of sound, construction, playability etc.

I'm glad you're happy with your bass, but what else did you play before you decided on it?

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Many of the negative comments I've heard about those lower-priced Chinese basses are the structural issues that show up over time. Hope you have better luck than the other folks I've talked to.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I have found the Revolution Solo pickup to be head and shoulders above the K&K Bass Max. I've used both on more than one bass. There is just no comparison. Check out the threads on the Rev. Solo.

As far as Cremona's go-- glad you're happy, but I wouldn't say that the concensus is that they are a good value. Just my $0.02

8. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Not always over time either...sometimes just a month. We had a guy bring in a bass, less than a month old from one of the large chain music stores, to have a RS fit for it. I took the bass out back, put it on the bench...and noticed the begining of a sound post crack. I brought the guy out back to show him. Luckily he brought it back and they refunded 100% of his money. Came back to us and put a Shen SB80 on order.

Moral of the story, $1000 fully carved basses cost $1000 for a reason.