Cremona SB2 or SB3?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jAcKyL8643, May 13, 2004.

1. Ok I have been offered a special deal and the SB3 is only going to cost me $200 more then and SB2 and I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with either of these basses because I havent the SB2 has an Ebony fingerboard, carved scroll, plywood-spruce top ,maple back, shaded amber matte finish, inlaid purfiling, arch back, 24:1 ratio typolean stile machine heards, and a boxwood endpin. The SB3 has an Ebony fingerboard, plywood-spruce top, arched back, flamed maple, inlaid purfiling, boxwood endpin. I am very much the newbie and this is my first bass. I intend to go try them out before I decide. But I would still like some info from someone experienced.

2. Hey man, wecome aboard! In most cases, when you're trying to get some info on a particular brand bass, you'll have to be as clear as possible in terms of what instument you're talking about. SB2 and SB3 doesn't do much for some people here.....Shen, Strunal? I know your heading says "Cremona" but there's so many new Chinese instruments coming out, you may need to post more info.
    You'll probably get lucky and there'll be some folks who will know what you're talking about and, hopefully, be able to help.
  3. Cremonas aren't very highly considered. They're often referred to as CCBs (Cheap Chinese Basses), along with similar basses like Palatinos. Now, being made in China isn't an automatic disqualification, but the under $1K ones have a spotty reputation, and the under $600 ones even moreso. Do a search on this site for Cremona, Palatino, CCB, and you'll see what I mean. Here's a thread:

Actually, after reading that thread over again, I see there's pros and cons to them.

Still, I'd note that I recently bought a quite nice slightly used Engelhardt EC-1 for $850 (had a bow, bag and stand, too!).

Best of luck!

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I'm with Tarmadilo... If you're going for an SB-3, you're probably already in the near-$1000 range, which'll put you into an Engelhardt M-1. The low-dollar Chinese instruments generally have terrible track records, whereas the Engel should prove to be a playable, reliable entry-level instrument. If you can save up a few more bucks, around $1500-1600 will get you a very nice Chinese instrument, like a laminated Shen, Christopher or Kohr. Good luck :)
  5. Well the one im mainly looking at now is 1200 but the store is going to let me rent for a while and then pay off the whole thing for a discount so ill see if I like it or not. If i dont ill look into the other options you guys have suggested
  6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Please don't spend any money, or time, on this instrument. I've seen several of the neck joints (apart) and they are very poorly fitted. The necks are very often slab cut wood, which is quite weak and more prone to warping. The plywood used is very low grade, and also prone to excessive bulging/cracking around the soundpost. Basically, the sound okay at the store, and as a temporary rental they are fine. But an Engelhardt or Shen will give you far less hassles. The Cremonas are bass shaped objects; any price tag over $500 for these dogs is flat out robbery.
  7. DITTO!
  8. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Do not pay 1200 for a cremona sb2 or 3 or 1. for a little over 900, you can get an em1 englehardt - much better and put in another 200 and make a bass that is very playable and will last.