Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cremona

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cabin dweller, Mar 20, 2005.

1. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    I went to a bluegrass jam tonight and had a chance to compare my em1 to some crap-monas' (sb1 & sb2). All I have to say is there two basses combined didn't thump or controll the setting at all... They both had bridges with wheels and strings of quallity, but no big projection. Mine has the factory bridge with spiro mediums' with a machined metal sound post.
    At any givein' time I could shut both of them down.

My two cents about cremona products...

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Could you elaborate a little more on this please. :)

3. cabin....after reading some of your posts here on TBDB, I get the vibe that this has more to do with you , than your bass!

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Sounds fairly self-explanatory to me... ;)

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    How do you carve a metal Sound post when fitting?.. Wooden Knife?.. Does it dig into the Top and Back inside the Bass? How well is it fit/touching across the surface on the Top and Back?

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think the proper fitting technique takes time, and thus more expensive to have done. The fitter must make frequent trips outside to the street to rub the soundpost back and forth on the cement at just the desired angle to remove material a small amount at a time. This precision operation can take hours as you can imagine. Choosing the right shop is key here as well. Finding a shop with choice cement and concrete outside is not as easy as you think..

7. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    I think better yet would be draggin it out the car door on the blacktop ha! but anyhoo its not hard to make a metal post as long as you have the original one to copy the diameter and slopes. You wouldn't believe the sound vibe that gets sent to the back. I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes stupid stuff is fun to mess around with.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have to admit, I have used the "car method" to fine tune my golf clubs on the way back from the links, I no longer play golf.
    I've seen some graphite posts before, but not metal. I'm ass-uming you are using a solid aluminum? Who turned you on to this??