crescent moon basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JordanP, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    anyone tell me about your experience? good, bad?

before you fire away too, i did do a search, not much of anything came up :D

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I think I may be the only one on TB who owns one? I know Craig pretty well and I've played around half a dozen of his basses and guitars. What would you like to know?

I bought mine in '03. It was the first fretless one he sold, I believe. It's my #1 BG at this point, for sure. Unfortunately I don't get many calls for gigs on BG though, everyone wants my EUB pretty much.

[​IMG]

3. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    just as far as quality and tone, playability, the usual. They're tough to find info on

4. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    There aren't a ton of them out there. The workmanship on my mine is ace, and I've never felt a need to mess with the setup Craig put on it. He doesn't tend towards a lot of bling, just toward a kind of "modern classic" look and feel IMHO. I feel that the price is very reasonable for what you get.

I've played a few fretted ones, and I liked the zebrawood top with walnut back the best of the combinations I tried. I played both of the actual basses that are on the website on this page.

Mine has a one piece sapele body, which is great for what I want from a fretless. I loved the Bart pickups in the fretted ones, but I ended up swapping a couple of different sets into mine, and I've settled on Q-Tuners as the best solution for me.

If you're on the east coast you might be able to catch Craig at one of the big guitar shows. I originally met him at the one of the Bee-3 vintage shows in Philly.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've played PW's bass and can attest to it being a seriously fine bass guitar ...

6. hoagie

hoagie

Apr 16, 2008
    from my earlier thread...

www.crescentmoonguitars.com

I have played a four string Crescent Moon Bass for 4 years now. I bought this after hearing and playing one in person at the Brookdale Guitar show in Monmouth County, NJ, 2004. This bass has more tone control than many of the high end boutique instruments you all might have tried.

Thru Maple Neck, Ebony fingerboard, black hardware, 2 Bertolini Humbucker, low, hi, mid control knobs, plus two midrange voltage control switches for further tweekage, and a "blend" knob for mixing the two humbuckers. Body is Sapele, and its hand finished with Tung Oil.

I have yet to play a better sounding 4 string bass.

7. hoagie

hoagie

Apr 16, 2008
    and craig is a GREAT guy too. He even let me pay over time, which is pretty unheard of from custom builders.

Getting the 5-string next I think...

8. I just saw a band over the weekend (N'secion) and their bass player played one of these. They look awesome and sound awesome too. Is there any place in the D.C./metro area they may have some in stock that i could play?

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, I've always liked the look of Crescent Moon basses but this takes the cake, it's utterly stunning!

10. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Craig's in Maryland, so just ping him directly and I'm sure he'll find a way to put one in your hands. :cool:

11. Cool, i live about 35-45mins from Baltimore.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That is a seriously classy bass my friend. Nice choice, and great work by Craig. Something about it has a kind of Wal vibe...

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's the pickups! I thought the same thing!

14. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I swapped in the Q-Tuner pickups and the acrylized wood knobs from Gallery Hardwoods myself, but I'm sure Craig would make one that way if someone asked.

The body is one solid piece of sapele (with the neck-through routed out only on the back), and it does kind of remind me of a couple of Wals I've seen, now that you mention it.

15. I saw on the site that one-piece necks are standard and 5 piece necks are $200 extra. So far, everyone i've talked to has said that a one-piece neck is a problem waiting to happen. What's the deal? and does this affect playability, intonation or anything else?

16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I have collected 4 neck-thru Washburns from the 1980-1984 period that are just tops for playability. The necks are so fantastic and I have never once had to adjust them!:hyper:

17. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    That's a fairly controversial subject, but Fenders and upright basses seem to have done just fine with solid maple necks for many years, no?;)

Anyhow, mine has a solid maple neck with the standard graphite reinforcement. Craig felt that a laminated neck was mostly about aesthetics, and I was going for a really simple, understated look for this bass. I've yet to need any neck adjustment in the 5 years I've owned the bass -- seems pretty stable to me!

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I recently played PSW's fretless. It was absolutely amazing! The sound and feel are beyond description. It may not be the fanciest looking wood, but the feel, tone, and playability are up there with the very best basses you can buy for any price.

Unfortunately, I can't access the builder's website right now.

If he's still in business, I have to find a way to get one of his basses.

19. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I heard from Craig a few weeks ago. Not sure what's up with the website, but he's definitely still in business.;)

20. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    yep, gotta chime in, that is one of the nicest looking fretless 4s I've seen in a long time. very classy indeed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021