Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest Audio Pro 8200/7200 power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowmid1, Mar 6, 2005.

1. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Anyone using one of these amps for a bass rig? It comes with a 20 amp plug....will it run on a 15 amp circuit without tripping breakers?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If what I'm thinking is right (powering up draw), then no.

Why would you need 2,5 / 3,4 KW, anyway? It's major O V E R K I L L

3. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Actually, there was one in the store powered off of a 15 amp circuit and it powered up with no problems. The inrush didn't cause any problem. I'm more concerned with running 8 or 4 ohm loads on each side in gigging conditions which I could not duplicate in the store. Thanks for your help, though.

BTW, 775 watts rms per side at 8 ohms is not exactly what I would consider major overkill.

4. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I used my new Crest 8200 for the first time this weekend. It shipped with a 30 amp plug which I changed over to 15 amp. I'm using a Demeter preamp along with an 8 ohm Eden D115XLT and an 8 ohm Eden D110T. My rig shared a circuit (protected by a 20 amp breaker) with V drums and keyboard. No problems whatsoever and the power amp barely get warm with the attenuators set at 12 o'clock,

5. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Are you sure it was a 30 amp plug? The specs. say that all the amps in the pro 200 series have a "20 amp IEC mains input"? A 20 amp plug has one of the blades turned sideways.

6. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    It's definitely a 30 amp plug. The Crest technician said that have to put that plug on to get UL Listed. The power cord itself is about as thick as an eight gauge speaker cable.

7. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    So what did the Crest technician have to say about replacing a 30 amp plug with a 15 amp plug and running the amp off of a 15 amp circuit?

8. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Crest tech said I would have no problem with 15 amp plug, but to make sure I replaced it with a Hubbell brand plug, which I did.

9. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Why Hubbell? More heavy duty?