1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crest Audio X8 HS 24 Channel Console?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassbrock, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Just throwing this out there for those on this board who might have had experience, good or bad, with Crest Audio consoles...

Our church has an opportunity to purchase a 24 channel 8 bus Crest Audio X-Eight HS console from another church across town. Estimated 5-6 years of age, purchased new and installed at the church.

Looking at the console I see that it is very flexible and the features are impressive, specifically the microprocessor mute system.

Has anyone here on this board had experience with Crest Audio consoles? I've used their amps in the past, but not their mixers. Any comments and/or criticisms of the preamps or EQ?

Does anyone here know if Crest/Peavey typically end-of-life the parts and modules for their older consoles? Or should we expect that we can obtain parts and service for years to come if needed?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I have a Crest XR-20 board from just before the Peavey buyout. At the time I bought it only the small Midas boards were considered a real upgrade in this class, and that at nearly 2X the price. I've peeked inside the board and found nothing that should be obsolete anytime soon. Pretty easy to work on considering all the features too.

The preamps and EQ on my board kill IMHO. If memory serves, they're the same as the ones in the bigger X Series boards. I've either owned or used most of the usual suspects in the compact class, and I wouldn't trade for anything in the analog realm short of the APB Pro Rack H1020, which is made by the former Crest guys.;)

I'd suggest that you post a query and/or so a search at the Live Audio Board -- you should find all you need there I think. I have no direct experience with the larger format Crests. You might also ping the APB folks if this is a pre-buyout model, just to see if there are any potential 'gotchas'.

luck,

---------CE

3. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I have had a fair amount of experiences with large format Crest consoles. They are decent to good consoles. I have noticed them dropping off riders recently, not an issue for you though.
    Too early to tell on the end of life support at this point. Parts should be available still. As long as you can get service manuals, and have access to a compitent service tech, serviceing should not be too tough. I wouldn't pay top dollar for one, as resale will not be like a Midas, or Soundcraft, or other current product. ABP desks are a step up. The X series was thought of as kind of the deathnell of the crest large format desks, in the industry. The XR-20's are still thought of as being great.